Diabolico Vendicatore
PolliceSu

• Lurkatrice sfegatata
    • Mostra profilo
PolliceSu
    Re: Don Rosa
    Risposta #2190: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 20:47:33
    giangi72:
    >>>>>Non riesco ad immaginare la tristezza delle nuove generazioni.
    ...Cosa potrebbero leggere ora i giovani per fare lo stesso?
    Supereroi?
    Fumetti sui teletubbies? Che tristezza.

Beh, non stare male per i bambini americani. Loro NON VOGLIONO leggere niente. Questa è la vera ragione per cui qui non ci sono fumetti Disney -- i ragazzi americani hanno smesso di leggere negli anni '60, così il grande editore che aveva le licenze Disney e per tutte le altre proprietà cinematografiche e televisive smplicemente lasciò perdere i fumetti e si concentrò sugli altri affari.  Ed ora abbiamo una generazione di ragazzi i cui genitori non hanno letto niente, e i cui NONNI non hanno mai letto niente.

Ero ospite ad una convention di fantascienza/fantasy lo scorso weekend.  DragonCon --  cercala in Internet. E' principalmente per appassionati di film e TV. E una ragazza sui vent'anni si è avvicinata al mio tavolo e ha detto "oh: Duck Tales"!"  Naturalmente io ho detto "Be', non esattamente. Questi sono i fumetti su cui si basano le Duck Tales." E lei ha risposto "Hmf. Io non leggo." ... come se ne fosse FIERA. E ti assicuro che questa è la tendenza prevalente della gioventù americana. Questa sciocca ragazza sa di essere come i suoi amici e questo è come vuole essere.

Avete letto della Disney che ha comprato la Marvel? Beh, quello che vogliono sono i diritti dei supereroi nei film, in TV, videogiochi e giocattoli. Commercializzazione. Le vendite dei fumetti americani sono troppo scarse per interessare una grande compagnia come la Disney.

Questa traduzione mancava...
    This translation was missing...

sed
    Papero del Mistero
    PolliceSu

• Mostra profilo
    PolliceSu
      Risposta #2191: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 21:43:39
      Don, yesterday i was reading (again) "the crown of the crusader king"...good story, i was still laughing for the "voodoo toys " gag ;D

...but...

the story is too difficult for someone that don't know you or, more easily, dont't know barks...if someone want to understand fully the stroy, he has to find:

* the fabulous Philosopher's Stone
      * the Crown of gengis kahn
      * return to xanadu
      * uncle scrooge- tralla-la
      plus the sequel, "a letter from home"

and it is the same for many other stories (to understand fully the "Letter from home" someone had to buy a complete Carl barks and Don Rosa library ;)) ...

personally, i love this kind of connection, but i also notice that it is difficult to find all the story (i still don't own the  Duck that fell on earth and the black knight part 1, many important to understand the second part of the black knight :()...

do you think that this connection give some "extra power",a "something special" to your stories, or it could be something that stops the readers, expecially the young ones that don't know barks or your past stories (obiviously not in USA ;))?

------------------------------------------------

riassunto italiano: ieri stavo leggendo "la corona dei re crociati", e ho notato che, seppur bella, è difficile d leggere, almeno per chi non conosca te o, più facilmente, Barks (ed elenoco tutte le storie necessarie per capire la storia in questione...per non parlare di qualcuno che voglia capire totalmente "una lettera da casa")
      pensi che questa connessione tra storie dia una "potenza extra" alle tue storie, o può essere qualcosa che scoraggia i lettori, soprattutto quelli giovani che non conoscono barks (ovviamente non parlo dei giovan degli USA  ;))

« Ultima modifica: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 22:08:42 da sed »

Andrea87
      Uomo Nuvola
      PolliceSu

• Il terrore di Malachia!
        • Mostra profilo
      PolliceSu
        Risposta #2192: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 21:45:26
        Should I back up and mention where my name comes from? (Or what my name IS?) My grandfather's name was Gioachino Rosa, my father's name was Ugo Dante Rosa. They named me Gioachino Dante Ugo Rosa. But they used the "Americanized" version of Keno Don Hugo Rosa. "Keno" was my grandfather's nickname, and Dante is pronounced like Don rather than like Dan. (I'm just Don, not Donald like all other "Don"s are in America.) And Hugo is an obvious substitute for Ugo.
        Was that all old info?

Not for me!

Ancient Romans said "Nomen Omen" [(man's) destiny is in the name]: like italian poet Dante (one of your name), you wrote many masterpieces! it's funny, isn't it?

traduzione:
        Non per me!

Gli Antichi Romani dicevano "Nomen Omen" [il destino (di un uomo) è nel nome]: come il poeta italiano Dante (uno dei tuoi nomi), hai scritto tanti capolavori! è divertente, vero?
        « Ultima modifica: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 21:47:08 da andrea87 »
        Nel tempo dell'inganno universale dire la verità è un atto rivoluzionario (G. Orwell)

Don Rosa
        Gran Mogol
        PolliceSu

• Novellino
          • Mostra profilo
        PolliceSu
          Risposta #2193: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 22:37:46
          sed:
          >>>>>"the crown of the crusader king... the story is too difficult for someone that don't know you or, more easily, dont't know barks...if someone want to understand fully the stroy, he has to find:
          * the fabulous Philosopher's Stone
          * the Crown of gengis kahn
          * return to xanadu
          * uncle scrooge- tralla-la
          * plus the sequel, "a letter from home"
          and it is the same for many other stories (to understand fully the "Letter from home" someone had to buy a complete Carl barks and Don Rosa library ) ...

Well, I guess I hafta strongly disagree with you. To understand any of my stories "fully", a reader need not have read ANY other stories. I hadn't even written "Letter from Home" when I wrote "Crown of the Crusader Kings", so how could I know what I was doing if, to write it, I needed to have read a story that didn't yet exist?
          But if you mean a reader would have to read all those other stories to understand all of the unimportant side references and in-jokes in "Crown..." ... yes, of course, you're right. Those are things I put in virtually all my stories just for my fellow Barks fans, and not meant to be understood by all the young or casual readers. But knowing the origins of those details is not necessary to understand the story itself.

>>>>>do you think that this connection give some "extra power",a "something special" to your stories, or it could be something that stops the readers, expecially the young ones that don't know barks or your past stories

Certainly it should give a little extra "something" for the Barks scholars to chuckle over, but they are not the majority of the readers, so it's not an aspect that makes the story more successful in general. If I have ever put in some Barksian reference that would halt a reader by puzzling him too much, that would be my error. And one time I think I did that was in my very first story, "The Son of the Sun", where I had the old vicuna hunter from "Lost in the Andes" ask Donald if he was "still searching for square eggs". That would have brought any new reader to an abrupt halt. "Square eggs?!?! WTF?"

But another thing I'll say: when I was told to write that "Life of $crooge" series, I did it in such a way that I thought for certain NOBODY EXCEPT BARKS SCHOLARS would enjoy or understand it. It was purely one fan's tribute to Carl Barks' work. Why would I risk making a story that most readers would not understand or like? Because I am never paid based on the popularity of my work... as I said, I get paid a flat rate per page whether the story flops or is reprinted and rereprinted around the world. So I just do stories the way *I* would like to see them done, and the "Life of $crooge" was my personal tribute to Barks' greatest creation.
          But I heard from MANY people in America where Barks' work is not known among comic fans -- these people bought the "Life of $crooge" comics and books because they were hearing good comments about it, and then because it won an Eisner Award for "Best Story of the Year". And all that I heard from them was that they still loved it and yet had never read a Barks or a Disney Duck comic book before and didn't know anything about my references. That sure pleases me, but it sure puzzles me, too. I tried, but I failed to create a failure!

Scrooge4
          Visir di Papatoa
          Moderatore
          PolliceSu

• Barks The Best!
            • Mostra profilo
          PolliceSu
            Risposta #2194: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 22:48:48
            Maybe, Don, you haven't seen my message I post yesterday (page 144): https://www.papersera.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1069256543/2156#2156

I'm telling you because I've seen you answered to other next questions and not to this.
            Marco Travaglini

Don Rosa
            Gran Mogol
            PolliceSu   (1)

• Novellino
              • Mostra profilo
            PolliceSu   (1)
              Risposta #2195: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 23:02:11
              scrooge4:
              >>>>> you haven't seen my message I post yesterday (page 144):

Sorry, I didn't know there was a question to be answered. You seemed to just be saying (in a highly flattering manner -- grazie) that you thought I should do a story where the Nephews find out their parents are dead. But I doubt that any publisher would allow that... remember I can't create a story that a publisher doesn't want. But also, as I've said, I'm tired of putting more work into that archaic and unfair system. They have enough stories to profit from around the world, forever, while not paying royalties to the writers & artists who created them. Why keep giving them more?  
              « Ultima modifica: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 23:43:06 da Don_Rosa »

Scrooge4
              Visir di Papatoa
              Moderatore
              PolliceSu

• Barks The Best!
                • Mostra profilo
              PolliceSu
                Risposta #2196: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 23:15:07
                scrooge4:
                >>>>> you haven't seen my message I post yesterday (page 144):

Sorry, I didn't know there was a question to be answered. You seemed to just be saying (in a highly flattering manner -- grazie) that you thought I should do a story where the Nephews find out their parents are dead. But I doubt that any publisher would allow that... remember I can't create a stiory that a publisher doesn't want. But also, as I've said, I'm tired of putting more work into that archaic and unfair system. They have enough stories to profit from around the world, forever, without paying royalties to the writers & artists who created them. Why keep giving them more?  

Yes, ok, it's not a real question but only an opinion which I would like to know what did you think about.
                About the second part of your answer ("I'm tired of putting more work...") I agree and respect your point of view (also if a fan desires everytime more masterpieces like yours).
                About the first part ("I doubt that any publisher would allow that") are you so sure? In the past years you introduced characters like Donald's parents, Gradma's children, a lot of Scrooge's relatives.... Why not the Huey, Dewey and Louie's parents? If the publisher accepted the other ones, why not them, too (also considering that you only tell about a search of them)?

Italian summary:
                A Don Rosa che risponde che probabilmente nessun editore accetterà mai una storia in cui i Nipotini vanno alla ricerca dei loro genitori, chiedo come mai è così convinto di questo. Considerando che negli anni precedenti ha introdotto personaggi quali i genitori di Paperino, i figli di Nonna Papera e tutti i parenti di Paperone, perchè crede che ci possano essere tutti questi problemi con i genitori di Qui, Quo e Qua?
                « Ultima modifica: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 23:18:57 da scrooge4 »
                Marco Travaglini

Don Rosa
                Gran Mogol
                PolliceSu   (1)

• Novellino
                  • Mostra profilo
                PolliceSu   (1)
                  Risposta #2197: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 23:40:28
                  scrooge4:
                  >>>>>In the past years you introduced characters like Donald's parents, Gradma's children, a lot of Scrooge's relatives.... Why not the Huey, Dewey and Louie's parents? If the publisher accepted the other ones, why not them, too

Well, because I introduced all those other characters as ALIVE. You want me to introduce the Nephews' parents as CORPSES. That's a bit different.
                  And if the search is unsuccessful, there's no point to the story. In either case, it's a pointless, sad story. At least that's how I see it.

Yes, if I managed to convince a publisher to accept that story, and if I could convince myself to do another story, I would make myself even MORE famous with such a tale. It would be front page news (everywhere but in America). But... I don't want to gain fame or profit from a story that would only be sad and sensationalistic, and would be better off left untold. That would be very selfish of me.

feidhelm
                  Flagello dei mari
                  PolliceSu

• Fizz! Snarl!
                    • Mostra profilo
                  PolliceSu
                    Risposta #2198: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 23:52:35
                    I couldn't bear a story about nephews' parents disappeared forever or, worst, dead :(

Non potrei sopportare una storia sui genitori dei nipotini in cui si apprende che sono scomparsi per sempre o, peggio di tutto, morti :(
                    « Ultima modifica: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 23:55:37 da feidhelm »

In memoria di chi ci ha "cucinato" tante storie memorabili...

Scrooge4
                    Visir di Papatoa
                    Moderatore
                    PolliceSu

• Barks The Best!
                      • Mostra profilo
                    PolliceSu
                      Risposta #2199: Mercoledì 9 Set 2009, 23:53:30
                      Yes, if I managed to convince a publisher to accept that story, and if I could convince myself to do another story, I would make myself even MORE famous with such a tale. It would be front page news (everywhere but in America). But... I don't want to gain fame or profit from a story that would only be sad and sensationalistic, and would be better off left untold. That would be very selfish of me.

Yes, now I can understand better your point of view.
                      Thanks a lot for your answer!
                      Marco Travaglini

ML-IHJCM
                      Diabolico Vendicatore
                      PolliceSu

• Nuovo utente
                        • Mostra profilo
                      PolliceSu
                        Risposta #2200: Giovedì 10 Set 2009, 03:56:14
                        Dear Don, the information about you - where you live and your full name - was quite interesting. (Btw, about the name Keno-Gioachino: a neighbour of mine in Italy is named Chino, short for Gioacchino, which I suppose is prononunced exactly as you pronounce Keno.) The "natural reserve" you live in must be a wonderful place. But one thing you mentioned puzzled me: is not Kentucky too much to the north for hummingbirds? Can they survive winter there (which - I suppose - must be quite cold)?

Riassunto italiano: chiedo chiarimenti sui colibri' (avrei detto che il Kentucky e' troppo a nord per questi uccelli).

Don Rosa
                        Gran Mogol
                        PolliceSu

• Novellino
                          • Mostra profilo
                        PolliceSu
                          Risposta #2201: Giovedì 10 Set 2009, 08:17:48
                          ML-IHJCM:
                          >>>>>about the name Keno-Gioachino: a neighbour of mine in Italy is named Chino, short for Gioacchino, which I suppose is prononunced exactly as you pronounce Keno.)

That's how you in Italia would pronounce it, but (as you know?) here people would pronounce the 'ch' in "Chino" the way you pronounce the 'c' in "ciao", so he was wise to use "Keno".

>>>>> The "natural reserve" you live in must be a wonderful place. But one thing you mentioned puzzled me: is not Kentucky too much to the north for hummingbirds? Can they survive winter there (which - I suppose - must be quite cold)?

You betcha it's cold here in the winter. And HOT here in the summer. Our annual temperature range is about -20 to +35 C. And it's been as low as -30 and as high as +42 in recent years. Why my grandfather got off the train in Louisville, I'll never know! Either he ran out of money or he saw a pretty girl at the train station.
                          But all birds migrate. All the hummingbirds in the Eastern half of North America fly south in the Fall and spend the winter in South America. They fly down to the tip of Florida and cross the Gulf of Mexico non-stop. (And you can imagine how crowded Florida gets with hummingbirds when they all get squeezed into that narrow peninsula.)
                          Meanwhile, the hummingbirds out west fly down into Mexico, or maybe to the souther edge of Arizona and New Mexico.
                          So we must stop feeding them on October 1 each year to make sure no stupid hummingbirds hang around here until it's too late.
                          Hummingbirds are a WONDROUS thing. I figure God gave us hummingbirds in America to make up for the *poison ivy* that's everywhere!

Duck Fener
                          Dittatore di Saturno
                          PolliceSu

• Mostra profilo
                          PolliceSu
                            Risposta #2202: Giovedì 10 Set 2009, 10:22:30
                            For Mr. Rosa:

About "Lost in the Andes" and "Return to Plain Awful": i'm the person that did this question. Thank you a lot for your answer.
                            Think about this, i've founs another "interpretation": Donald and nephews in Barks's story arrive there by chance, so the don't know law of Plain Awful, in your story, instead, they already know the law, so they take caution for don't get in trouble.
                            Is possible?

Then: It might be a very heaven your "nature preserve"! And your love for nature is many times present in your story.
                            Today, not many person appreciate that, is a pity :-/

Don Rosa
                            Gran Mogol
                            PolliceSu

• Novellino
                              • Mostra profilo
                            PolliceSu
                              Risposta #2203: Giovedì 10 Set 2009, 10:32:07
                              Duck Fener:
                              >>>>>Donald and nephews in Barks's story arrive there by chance, so the don't know law of Plain Awful, in your story, instead, they already know the law, so they take caution for don't get in trouble.
                              Is possible?

Si. Is very possible. Good thinking.

>>>>>It might be a very heaven your "nature preserve"! And your love for nature is many times present in your story.

I consider that the very BEST of compliments! Grazie!

Brigitta MacBridge
                              Flagello dei mari
                              Moderatore
                              PolliceSu

• Paperonuuuuccciooooo....
                                • Mostra profilo
                              PolliceSu
                                Risposta #2204: Giovedì 10 Set 2009, 12:31:47
                                sed:
                                >>>>>"la corona dei re crociati...la storia è troppo difficile per uno che non conosce te o, più facilmente, non conosce Barks... se si vuole capirla completamente, deve trovare:
                                * La Pietra filosofale
                                * la Corona di Gengis Khan
                                * ritorno xanadu
                                * la dollarallergia
                                * ed il seguito, "una lettera da casa"
                                e lo stesso si può dire per molte altre storie (per capire la "Lettera da casa" si dovrebbe comprare una Carl Barks e Don Rosa library completa)....

Beh, dico che sono fortemente in disaccordo con te. Per capire "completamente" una qualsiasi delle mie storie, un lettore non ha bisogno di aver letto NESSUNA altra storia. Non avevo neppure scritto "Lettera da casa" quando scrissi "la corona dei re crociati", quindi come avrei potuto sapere cosa stavo facendo se, per scriverla, dovevo aver letto una storia che non esisteva ancora?
                                Ma se intendi che un lettore dovrebbe leggersi tutte quelle storie per capire tutti i riferimenti secondari e le battute della "Corona..." ... sì, naturalmente, hai ragione. Quelle sono cose che infilo in praticamente tutte le mie storie solo per i fan di Barks come me, e non sono pernsate per essere capite dai lettorei giovani od occasionali. Ma non è necessario conoscere l'origine di quei dettagli per capire la storia.

>>>>>pensi che questa connessione dia una "forza in più" un "qualcosa di speciale" alle tue storie, o potrebbe trattarsi di qualcosa che ferma il lettore, soprattutto quelli più giovani che non conoscono Barks o le tue storie precedenti

Di certo per lgli studiosi di Barks dovrebbe essere un "qualcosa" di extra su cui farsi due risate, ma loro no sono la maggiornaza dei lettori, quindi questo non è un aspetto che contribuisca a dar maggior successo alla storia. Se ho mai inserito un riferimento a Barks che fermerebbe un lettore rendendolo un po' troppo perplesso, è un mio errore. Una volta in cui penso di averlo fatto fu nella mia prima storia "il figlio del sole", in cui il vecchio cacciatore di vigogne da "il mistero degli incas" chiede a Paperino se  sia "ancora in cerca di uova quadre". questo avrebbe fermato qualsiasi nuovo lettore. "Uova quadre?!?! Ma che #$%?"

Ma dirò un'altra cosa: quando mi chiesero di scrivere la serie della "$aga di Paperone", lo feci in tal maniera che pensavo che di certo NESSUNO SE NON GLI ESPLERTI DI BARKS la avrebbero apprezzata o capita. Era solo il tributo di un fan di Barks al lavoro di Carla Barks. Perché ho corso il rischio da fare una storia che la maggior parte dei lettori non avrebbe capito o apprezzato? Perché non vengo pagato in base al successo del mio lavoro... come ho già detto, mi pagano ina cifra fissa per pagina, sia che la storia sia un fallimento, sia che sia ristampata e riristampata in tutto il mondo. Così io faccio le storie nel modo in cui a *me* piacerebbe vederle fatte, e la $aga fu il mio personale tributo alla più grande creazione di Barks.
                                Ma ho sentito dire da MOLTA gente in America, dove il lavoro di Barks non è noto ai fan di fumetti -- queste persone hanno comprato i fumetti della $aga perché sentivano dei buoni commenti su di essa, e poi perché aveva vinto un Eisner Award per "Miglior Storia dell'Anno". E tutto quello che mi hanno detto fu che gli piaceva lo stesso, eppure non avevano mai letto un fumetto di Barks o Disney prima, e non sapevano nulla dei riferimenti che avevo fatto. Di certo questo mi fa piacere, ma mi stupisce anche. C'ho provato, ma non sono riuscito a creare un fallimento!
                                I miei teSSSSori: http://tinyurl.com/a3ybupd

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi

Dati personali, cookies e GDPR

Questo sito per poter funzionare correttamente utilizza dati classificati come "personali" insieme ai cosiddetti cookie tecnici.
                                In particolare per quanto riguarda i "dati personali", memorizziamo il tuo indirizzo IP per la gestione tecnica della navigazione sul forum, e - se sei iscritto al forum - il tuo indirizzo email per motivi di sicurezza oltre che tecnici, inoltre se vuoi puoi inserire la tua data di nascita allo scopo di apparire nella lista dei compleanni.
                                Il dettaglio sul trattamento dei dati personali è descritto nella nostra pagina delle politiche sulla privacy, dove potrai trovare il dettaglio di quanto riassunto in queste righe.

Per continuare con la navigazione sul sito è necessario accettare cliccando qui, altrimenti... amici come prima! :-)