Duck Fener
Dittatore di Saturno
PolliceSu

• Mostra profilo
PolliceSu
    Re: Don Rosa
    Risposta #3015: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 15:22:27
    Duck Fener:
    >>>>>For be truthful, in Paperinik's first stories he isn't a super - heroes

So I understand, but in America it's common to refer to ANY character in a costume who performs deeds as a "super hero". They may not even have special powers. A better name would be "costumed hero", but we say "super hero".

>>>>> but he not fights aliens. Unless you are reading “Paperinik new adventure”, that is rather different than Paperinik “standard”. Have you ever heard it, down there?

Neither version of Paperinik has ever been seen in America and you would have great difficulty finding in finding a single comics fan in North America who knows any version of that character exists. The only reason *I* know about the new or old Paperinik is due to my trips to Italia and associations with Italian comics fans, but I don't know anything about the character(s) except what he looks like.

Duck Fener:
    >>>>>"The princess and the frog" ... did you see it?

Nope. I've seen some of the Disney animated features made since the 70's, and I've never liked any of them, so I haven't seen a Disney animated feature in one or two decades. The only Disney animated features I like are those up to and including SLEEPING BEAUTY -- none afterwards.

Of course I *love* ALL the Pixar films. But in my mind Disney has *nothing* to do with those -- they just have some distribution deal with Pixar.
    I haven't seen TOY STORY 3 yet, but I'm certain I'll love it as much as I loved 1 & 2 -- they are probably my favorite Pixar films of all.
    I'm a bit late, but thank you for the answers.
    Anyway, i hope only that American readers that know the character don't think that Paperinik is this :P
    About Pixar... yes, is great. For sure is more interesting than Disney in this years. Imho, Ratatouille is the best Pixar film. But they're all wonderful.

A question, now (that maybe i have already discuss in the forum): in "Voodoo hoodoo", Scrooge says that when he was young he looked like Donald... without sideburns. But in "The richest duck in the world" Scrooge ruffle them for hide them.
    I imagine that you deliberately ignored this fact for not have logic problems, right?

Sono un po' in ritardo, ma grazie per le risposte.
    Comunque, spero solo che i lettori americani che conoscono il personaggio non pensino che Paperinik sia questo :P
    Riguardo la Pixar... si, è fantastica. Di certo è più interessante della Disney in questi anni. Imho, Ratatouille è il miglior film Pixar. Ma sono tutti meravigliosi.

Una domanda, ora (che forse ho già discusso nel forum): in "Paperino e il feticcio", Paperone dice che quando era giovane assomiglia a Paperino... senza basette. Ma in "Il cuore dell'Impero" Paperone le arruffa per nasconderle.
    Immagino che hai deliberatamente ignorato questo fatto per non avere problemi di logica, giusto?

Nota a margine: mi sono accorto solo ora di come "Il cuore dell'Impero", pur essendo infedele, sia un titolo bellissimo, maestoso e quasi epico, adattissimo a quello che si vede nel capitolo.
    « Ultima modifica: Martedì 11 Gen 2011, 20:05:51 da Duck_Fener »

Andrea87
    Uomo Nuvola
    PolliceSu

• Il terrore di Malachia!
      • Mostra profilo
    PolliceSu
      Risposta #3016: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 15:37:49
      but the original title wasn't "the empire builder from calisota"? "the richest duck in the world" is the title of chapter 12^ :-?

ma il titolo originale non era "the empire-builder from calisota"? "The richest duck in the world" è il titolo del 12^ capitolo (il nostro "Il papero più ricco del mondo") :-?
      Nel tempo dell'inganno universale dire la verità è un atto rivoluzionario (G. Orwell)

Pacuvio
      Imperatore della Calidornia
      Moderatore
      PolliceSu

• Mostra profilo
      PolliceSu
        Risposta #3017: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 15:39:16
        Hi Don! Did you know that in 2011 should (finally) starting, now even in America, the Floyd Gottfredson Library? :)

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/07/24/classic-mickey-mouse-comic-strip-to-get-complete-reprint/

http://ifanboy.com/content/articles/sdcc_2010__fantagraphics_partners_with_disney_to_collect_45_years_of_mickey_mouse_comics

http://techland.com/2010/07/24/fantagraphics-announces-mickey-mouse-reprints/

Ciao Don! Sei venuto a conoscenza che nel 2011 dovrebbe (finalmente) partire, ora anche in America, la Floyd Gottfredson Library? :)
        « Ultima modifica: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 15:48:15 da pacuvio »

Duck Fener
        Dittatore di Saturno
        PolliceSu

• Mostra profilo
        PolliceSu
          Risposta #3018: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 15:58:54
          ma il titolo originale non era "the empire-builder from calisota"? "The richest duck in the world" è il titolo del 12^ capitolo (il nostro "Il papero più ricco del mondo") :-?
          Che però nell'Inducks è intitolato "The recluse of McDuck manor"!
          Boh, forse c'é un qualche errore nell'Inducks o forse è come nel caso dell'"Argonauta", un titolo scartato da Don Rosa e poi riutilizzato.

Don Rosa
          Gran Mogol
          PolliceSu   (1)

• Novellino
            • Mostra profilo
          PolliceSu   (1)
            Risposta #3019: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 17:11:33
            Duck Fener:
            >>>>>in "Voodoo hoodoo", Scrooge says that when he was young he looked like Donald... without sideburns.

And so he did. When he was in that disguise. $crooge was explaining to Donald why Bombie was chasing Donald instead of $crooge who was guilty of the crime. Bombie mistook Donald for $crooge because $crooge had looked like Donald when he was young... and in disguise.

As I've said, you can think of these explanations yourself, if you try.

On the other hand, when there was a Barks story that was *clearly* and indisputedly in contradiction to his own later stories, such as "The Magic Hourglass", yes, I have no choice but to ignore it, so I did. And I openly admit it in those accompanying texts that you never see in Italia. And yet I still used one factoid from that story that was still much in character for $crooge's life -- that he first came to America working as a cabin boy on a cattle boat.
            « Ultima modifica: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 17:22:58 da Don_Rosa »

Don Rosa
            Gran Mogol
            PolliceSu   (1)

• Novellino
              • Mostra profilo
            PolliceSu   (1)
              Risposta #3020: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 17:19:40
              Andrea87:
              >>>>>but the original title wasn't "the empire builder from calisota"? "the richest duck in the world" is the title of chapter 12

I did not react to that "incorrect" title to save that for a reply to you...

Yes, my original title for chapter 11 was "The Empire Builder from Calisota". But I later found out that Egmont had used my 12th chapter title on chapter 11 in some of the scripts they sent out. So, Duck Fener did not use the original title for that story, but it apparently was a title under which that story appeared in some translations.

But either way suits me. Those are all three my own titles which at different times I had considered. And if some translations use "The Richest Duck in the World" on chapter 11 (when he is actually shown as becoming richest in the world on the last page) and use "The Recluse of McDuck Manor" on #12 (which is also quite good), I don't consider it a tragedy. But I had decided that the 12th and final chapter needed a title that was more dramatic and iconic. So I used "TRDitW" as the title for #12.

If anything about such title changes frustrates me, it's not that some translators might even change the titles entirely. But that they don't bother to try to notice or understand that, as with many elements of that series, all the story titles followed a strict pattern. The titles always referred to $crooge, himself, in the form of "The Something of the Something Something". It's when such careful planning as that is sabotaged that it naturally gets annoying.
              « Ultima modifica: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 17:39:19 da Don_Rosa »

Don Rosa
              Gran Mogol
              PolliceSu   (1)

• Novellino
                • Mostra profilo
              PolliceSu   (1)
                Risposta #3021: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 17:34:29
                Pacuvio:
                >>>>>Did you know that in 2011 should (finally) starting, now even in America, the Floyd Gottfredson Library?

Si. And let's hope that European sales will make it enough of a success that the publisher won't discontinue it after the first volume. Because I guarantee you -- as few Americans as know who Carl Barks was, I'd say he's a thousand times better known than Gottfredson whose work has not appeared here since the late 40's.

Andrea87
                Uomo Nuvola
                PolliceSu

• Il terrore di Malachia!
                  • Mostra profilo
                PolliceSu
                  Risposta #3022: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 20:24:16
                  Pacuvio:
                  >>>>>Did you know that in 2011 should (finally) starting, now even in America, the Floyd Gottfredson Library?

Si. And let's hope that European sales will make it enough of a success that the publisher won't discontinue it after the first volume. Because I guarantee you -- as few Americans as know who Carl Barks was, I'd say he's a thousand times better known than Gottfredson whose work has not appeared here since the late 40's.

well... in Italy (first country in the world to do it) we are currently to halves. this is the first volume of 38 ;)
                  Nel tempo dell'inganno universale dire la verità è un atto rivoluzionario (G. Orwell)

Lyla
                  Gran Mogol
                  PolliceSu

• Cool ghost
                    • Mostra profilo
                  PolliceSu
                    Risposta #3023: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 20:56:07
                    E' così era. Quando aveva assunto quel travestimento. Paperone stava spiegando a Paperino per quale ragione il Gongoro stesse inseguendo lui anziché Paperone, che era il colpevole del crimine. Il Gongoro scambiò Paperino per Paperone, poiché Paperone era come il nipote, da giovane e... sotto travestimento.

Come avevo detto, potresti arrivare a queste conclusioni anche da solo, se ci pensi.

D'altronde, quando c'era una storia di Barks che fosse *chiaramente* ed indiscutibilmente in contraddizione rispetto ad altre sue stesse storie, come "The Magic Hourglass" [Paperino e la clessidra magica], sì, non avevo altra scelta che ignorarla, come ho fatto. E lo ammetto apertamente in quei testi di accompagnamento che non avete mai visto in Italia. Eppure ho tratto un fatto da quella storia, che era comunque molto in tema con la vita Paperone -- che egli all'inizio arrivasse in America lavorando come mozzo su una barca di bestiame.

casmiki
                    Evroniano
                    PolliceSu

• Novellino
                      • Mostra profilo
                    PolliceSu
                      Risposta #3024: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 22:35:43
                      >>On the other hand, when there was a Barks story that was *clearly* and indisputedly in contradiction to his own later stories, such as "The Magic Hourglass", yes, I have no choice but to ignore it, so I did. And I openly admit it in those accompanying texts that you never see in Italia.

I read for the first time your masterpiece Lo$ in 1997 in a volume named D.U.C.K. In that volume every chapter was introduced by an article written by you where you cited every barksian fact used by you and explained why you ignored some of them. E.g. in the introdution to the first chapter you wrote that you ignored the magic hourglass because Scrooge became rich by himself without lucky charms. So I guess that your "accompanying articles" were translated and published in that volume.

Ho letto per la prima volta il tuo capolavoro Saga di Paperone nel 1997 in un volume intitolato D.U.C.K. In questo volume ogni capitolo era introdotto da un articolo scritto da te dove citavi tutti i fatti barksiani da te utilizzati e hai spiegato perché ne hai ignorati alcuni. Per esempio nell'introduzione al primo capitolo hai scritto che hai ignorato la clessidra magica perché Paperone è diventato ricco da solo senza portafortuna. Perciò credo che i tuoi "testi di accompagnamento" vennero tradotti e pubblicati in quel volume.
                      « Ultima modifica: Lunedì 2 Ago 2010, 22:43:41 da casmiki »

Don Rosa
                      Gran Mogol
                      PolliceSu   (1)

• Novellino
                        • Mostra profilo
                      PolliceSu   (1)
                        Risposta #3025: Martedì 3 Ago 2010, 07:40:08
                        casmiki:
                        >>>>>So I guess that your "accompanying articles" were translated and published in that volume.

I'm glad to know that my Italian friends *might* have seen my texts. But neither you nor I can be sure of the accuracy of those texts without careful comparison to the American versions. That book was an "unauthorized" use of my name and writings -- I've known of the book and that it contained texts that I couldn't read, but I never knew whether the texts were presented as my writing, or if they were someone else copying the information from my texts into new articles, or if the texts were written by someone else entirely and contained dubious unsubstantiated information. I had no input into that book's contents. But I do know that other contributors to that volume were friends and supreme comics scholars like Alberto Becattini and Luca Boschi, so I figured the book in general was hopefully a good presentation.

Or perhaps my memory of that book, after all these years, is spoiled by the next Italian version titled, in English, THE DUCK DYNASTY... is that correct? In that case, even Luca and Alberto were disturbed because I believe they told me that even their own writings appearing in that previous book, and perhaps elsewhere, had been used without their permission or control. This attitude by Disney publishers, as I've said before, was one of the reasons I eventually could not keep working in that system. Many of these publishers use their Disney license as if it was a shield while they use all sorts of writings and authors' names they have never been given permission to use... lifting the work off Internet fansites and elsewhere.

A part of this was my fault due to my early naivite of how Disney publishers act. When my close friends at Gladstone comics first reprinted those "Life of $crooge" stories in America, I was naturally very proud. Gladstone had NO funds to hire people to create new material, so I voluntarilly wrote those accompanying texts for them *for free*. Idiot that I was, I thought I was writing texts for Gladstone ALONE. But, no... Disney publishers worldwide begand translating and using those texts under my byline without asking my or Gladstone's permission, much less paying for the usage. And why not? They were using my Disney-owned stories without paying me, and my texts had also appeared in a Disney-licensed magazine, so my name and my texts were also regarded as Disney property. That I put myself into that situation is my own fault for being too trusting and too ignorant. "Here I am! Take advantage of my enthusiasm!" The only publisher who asked permission and paid me for the use of those texts, and expanded versions that were seen on some friends' websites, was Egmont.

The Italian "Life of $crooge" books may not be as guilty of this as I was lead to believe, but since I was never in contact with the editors and cannot read any of the contents, I have always been suspicious of them. The Italian audience is the one most dear to my heart, so I hope the books (including my texts) were well presented.

Brigitta MacBridge
                        Flagello dei mari
                        Moderatore
                        PolliceSu

• Paperonuuuuccciooooo....
                          • Mostra profilo
                        PolliceSu
                          Risposta #3026: Martedì 3 Ago 2010, 10:24:34
                          casmiki:
                          >>>>>Perciò credo che i tuoi "testi di accompagnamento" vennero tradotti e pubblicati in quel volume..

Sono felice di sapere che i miei amici italiani *potrebbero* aver visto i miei testi. Ma né tu né io possiamo essere certi dell'accuratezza di quei testi se non facendo un attento confronto con le versioni americane. Quel libro era un uso "non autorizzato" del mio nome e dei miei scritti -- sapevo dell'esistenza del libro e del fatto che conteneva dei testi che io non ero in grado di leggere, ma non ho mai saputo se quei testi erano presentati come miei scritti, o se erano di qualcun altro che copiava le informazioni dai miei testi dentro nuovi articoli, o se i testi venivano completamente scritti da qualcun altro e contenevano informazioni dubbie e senza fondamento. Io non ho contribuito ai contenuti di quel libro. Ma so che altri che hanno contribuito a quel volume erano amici e supremi studiosi di fumetti come Alberto Becattini e Luca Boschi, così mi sono immaginato che il libro nel complesso fosse, sperabilmente, una buona presentazione.

O forse il mio ricordo di quel libro, dopo tutti questi anni, è confuso con la successiva versione italiana intitolata, in inglese, THE DUCK DYNASTY (la Dinastia dei Paperi)... è giusto? In tal caso, anche Luca ed Alberto erano infastiditi perché mi pare che mi abbiano detto che anche i loro scritti che apparivano nel libro precedente, e forse anche altrove, erano stati usati senza il loro permesso o controllo. Questo atteggiamento da parte degli editori Disney, come ho già detto in precedenza, fu una delle ragioni per cui alla fine non potevo continuare a lavorare in quel sistema. Molti di quegli editori usano la loro licenza Disney come se fosse uno scudo quando usano ogni sorta di scritti e i nomi degli autori per i quali non hanno mai ricevuto il permesso di uso... copiando il lavoro da siti di fan su internet e altri posti.

In parte questo è stato colpa mia a causa della mia iniziale ingenuità su come agissero gli editori Disney. Quando i miei cari amici della Gladstone comics ristamparono per la prima volta in America quelle storie della "$aga di Paperone", io ero naturalmente molto orgoglioso.  La Gladstone NON aveva fondi per ingaggiare gente per creare nuovo materiale, così io scrissi volontariamente quei testi di commento per loro *gratis*. Che idiota sono stato, pensavo di scrivere testi SOLO per la Gladstone. Ma no... gli editori Disney di tutto il mondo cominciarono a tradurre e usare quei testi con il mio nome senza chiedere il permesso a me o alla Gladstone, e ancor più senza pagare per l'utilizzo. E perché no? Stavano usando le mie storie di proprietà Disney senza pagarmi, e anche i miei testi erano apparsi in un periodico sotto licenza Disney, così anche il mio nome e i miei scritti venivano considerati proprietà Disney. L'essermi ficcato io stesso in tale situazione è una mia colpa, per aver avuto troppa fiducia ed essere stato troppo ignorante. "Eccomi qua! Approfittate del mio entusiasmo!!" L'unico editore che chiese il permesso e che pagò per l'uso di quei testi, e delle versioni estese che si trovavano sui siti web di alcuni amici, fu la Egmont.

I libri italiani con la "$aga di Paperone" potrebbero non essere colpevoli di ciò tanto quanto posso essere stato portato a pensare, ma dato che non sono mai stato in contatto con gli editori, e che non posso leggerne il contenuto, sono sempre stato sospettoso nei loro confronti. Il pubblico italiano è quello più caro al mio cuore, così spero che i libri (inclusi i miei testi) fossero  ben presentati.
                          « Ultima modifica: Martedì 3 Ago 2010, 11:06:14 da Brigitta_McBridge »
                          I miei teSSSSori: http://tinyurl.com/a3ybupd

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi

casmiki
                          Evroniano
                          PolliceSu

• Novellino
                            • Mostra profilo
                          PolliceSu
                            Risposta #3027: Martedì 3 Ago 2010, 12:25:37
                            Are these your accompanying texts?  http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/a/danshane/scroopage/los285_1.htm If so, I can sure you that the introdutions to each chapter published in D.U.C.K. are translations (by Alberto Becattini) of your texts. If I have to tell the truth, some paragraphs of your texts weren't translated, for example in the introdution to chapter one the part about your cover (not present in italian version), the part about McDuichs and the section "insane details" were deleted. Another difference between the two texts is: in the article published in DUCK you stated that a fan named Dana found out a pretended error concerning Hugh McDuck; in that website this paragraph isn't present. Becattini translated mainly the "barksian facts" deleting the other sections ("Cover", "Insane details"). He deleted also the fact that you had to draw Bombie the Zombie in a "politically correct" way (chapter 11). Becattini had better to translate ALL the paragraphs, I don't know why he didn't (space problems?).

Sono questi i tuoi testi di accompagnamento? http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/a/danshane/scroopage/los285_1.htm Se sì, posso assicurarti che le introduzioni ai capitoli pubblicati in D.U.C.K. sono traduzioni dei tuoi testi. Se devo dire la verità, alcuni paragrafi dei tuoi testi non sono stati tradotti, per esempio nell'introduzione al primo capitolo la parte riguardante la tua copertina (non presente nella versione italiana), la parte sui McDuich e la sezione "dettagli folli" sono state tagliate. Ci sono altre differenze tra i due testi: in DUCK venne pubblicato un paragrafo sul fatto che un fan, Dana, scovò un presunto errore su Hugh De Paperoni, assente in quel sito web. Becattini tradusse principalmente i fatti barksiani cancellando le altre sezioni ("Copertina", "Dettagli folli"). Tra le cose cancellate c'è anche il fatto che dovesti disegnare il Gongoro in modo "politically correct" (capitolo 11). Becattini avrebbe fatto meglio a tradurre TUTTI i paragrafi, non so perché non l'abbia fatto (problemi di spazio?).

Don Rosa
                            Gran Mogol
                            PolliceSu   (2)

• Novellino
                              • Mostra profilo
                            PolliceSu   (2)
                              Risposta #3028: Martedì 3 Ago 2010, 17:37:16
                              casmiki:
                              >>>>>Another difference between the two texts is: in the article published in DUCK you stated that a fan named Dana found out a pretended error concerning Hugh McDuck; in that website this paragraph isn't present.

Hm. Hugh McDuck? Then that would have been in my text for chapter 1? I don't see such a comment in my text for that chapter. Could you please tell me what I am supposed to have written about "Dana" and a "pretended error"?

>>>>>Becattini translated mainly the "barksian facts" deleting the other sections ("Cover", "Insane details"). He deleted also the fact that you had to draw Bombie the Zombie in a "politically correct" way (chapter 11). Becattini had better to translate ALL the paragraphs, I don't know why he didn't (space problems?).

What makes you think he did not translate everything? Alberto would be one of the very few translators who is very knowledgeable about the characters (even moreso than ME) and devoted to giving his fellow fans every bit of information he can. Sounds to me that some editor cut Alberto's translation down due to, as you say, space limitations, but also censored anything he didn't want readers to know such as any Disney-imposed misguided political correctness. (And maybe adding something of his own about this "Dana"?)
                              Don't blame Alberto for such errors. Alberto is one of Italian comics fans' best friends!

Brigitta MacBridge
                              Flagello dei mari
                              Moderatore
                              PolliceSu

• Paperonuuuuccciooooo....
                                • Mostra profilo
                              PolliceSu
                                Risposta #3029: Martedì 3 Ago 2010, 18:11:36
                                casmiki:
                                >>>>>Un'altra differenza fra i due testi è: nell'articolo pubblicato nel DUCK dicevi che un fan di nome Dana aveva trovato un presunto errore riguardo a Hugh De Paperoni; in quel website questo paragrafo non si trova.

Hm. Hugh De Paperoni? Allora cosa ci sarebbe stati nel mio testo per il capitolo 1? Non vedo un commento del genere per quel capitolo. Potresti per favore dirmi cosa io avrei scritto a proposito di "Dana e un "presunto errore"?

>>>>>Becattini ha tradotto principalmente i fatti barksiani cancellando le altre sezioni ("Copertina", "Dettagli folli"). Ha cancellato anche il fatto che avevi dovuto disegnare il Gongoro in maniera "politically correct" (capitolo 11). Becattini avrebbe fatto meglio a tradurre TUTTI i paragrafi, non so perché non l'abbia fatto (problemi di spazio?).

Cosa ti fa pensare che non abbia tradotto tutto? Alberto è uno dei pochissimi traduttori che conosce benissimo i personaggi (anche più di ME) e che si dedica a fornire ai suoi colleghi fan ogni possibile informazione. Mi pare logico che qualche editore abbia tagliato la traduzione di Alberto a causa, come dici tu, di limiti di spazio, ma anche che abbia censurato tutto ciò che non voleva far sapere ai lettori, come ad esempio la maldiretta political correctness imposta da disney. (E forse aggiungendo qualcosa di proprio riguardo a questa "Dana"?)

Non dare ad Alberto la colpa di questi errori. Alberto è uno dei migliori amici dei fan italiani di fumetti!
                                I miei teSSSSori: http://tinyurl.com/a3ybupd

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi

Dati personali, cookies e GDPR

Questo sito per poter funzionare correttamente utilizza dati classificati come "personali" insieme ai cosiddetti cookie tecnici.
                                In particolare per quanto riguarda i "dati personali", memorizziamo il tuo indirizzo IP per la gestione tecnica della navigazione sul forum, e - se sei iscritto al forum - il tuo indirizzo email per motivi di sicurezza oltre che tecnici, inoltre se vuoi puoi inserire la tua data di nascita allo scopo di apparire nella lista dei compleanni.
                                Il dettaglio sul trattamento dei dati personali è descritto nella nostra pagina delle politiche sulla privacy, dove potrai trovare il dettaglio di quanto riassunto in queste righe.

Per continuare con la navigazione sul sito è necessario accettare cliccando qui, altrimenti... amici come prima! :-)