TlatoSMD
Brutopiano
PolliceSu

• Novellino
    • Mostra profilo
PolliceSu
    Re: Don Rosa
    Risposta #3735: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 09:30:33
    Hi Don, sorry for a question maybe you have just answered recently but I don't remember well. Now, in this moment, in Usa/Canada do exist some kind of Disney comic books or magazines or fanzines? About Gladstone I remember it was going to close or maybe it is already closed. If the game over was true, do you think it will be possible, in the next future, for an american boy, to have the chance to reed something about wonderful Disney characters born in the Usa?
    About Canada I think it's possible, in the french area (Quebec), to find Disney comic books or magazines directly from France that could be (probably) the only ones in all North America!
    Thank you.

From the English Wikipedia article on Disney comics (about 90% of this quote authored by me):

Citazione
    Starting in 1986, Disney comics in the USA were published by Gladstone Publishing (a subsidiary of Another Rainbow Publishing dedicated solely to Carl Barks). Impressed by Gladstone's unanticipated success, Disney revoked their license in 1990 to publish the comics themselves by the subsidiary of Disney Comics and a large expansion was planned, however following the Disney Implosion in 1991 Disney gradually returned licensing to Gladstone again (for the classic characters) and Marvel Comics (for the modern characters). Respectively, reprints of classic Barks stories were licensed to Gladstone again from 1991, while it took Gladstone until the demise of Disney Comics in 1993 to regain a license also for other stories containing the classic characters. Gladstone from then on remained publishing Disney comics until 1998.

In 2003, after a couple of years' hiatus, regular publication was restarted by Gemstone Publishing, a reformed version of Gladstone. Gemstone's two monthly Disney titles were Walt Disney's Comics and Stories and Uncle Scrooge, but the license was not renewed with the last releases dated Nov. 2008.

More recently, Disney has licensed some of their modern properties to Slave Labor Graphics (Gargoyles) and BOOM! Kids (The Muppet Show, The Incredibles, and Cars). Boom now also has the license for the classic characters, and has been publishing comic books with them starting in 2009. Although cancelling two titles priorly published by Gladstone and Gemstone (Donald Duck Adventures and Uncle $crooge Adventures), Boom! expanded their Disney portfolio in 2010-'11 by launching three new titles based upon the 1990s Disney Afternoon TV format (Darkwing Duck, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, and DuckTales), to surprising success.

However, in August 2011, it was announced that Disney was to end licensing to Boom! in October of that year, and would team up with recently acquired Marvel Comics instead, leaving the future of comics including their classic characters as well as those from the Disney Afternoon format uncertain.

Simone McD
    Gran Mogol
    PolliceSu   (1)

• Ex Scrooge McD
      • Mostra profilo
    PolliceSu   (1)
      Risposta #3736: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 10:05:15
      Dovrei smettere di pensare solo a quello che chiedi!

Credo che il Don intendesse piuttosto "Mi son dovuto fermare a pensare a che cosa mi avevi chiesto!" ;)
      « Ultima modifica: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 10:56:45 da SimoD »

Don Rosa
      Gran Mogol
      PolliceSu

• Novellino
        • Mostra profilo
      PolliceSu
        Risposta #3737: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 10:55:04
        Me:
        <<<<<I had to stop and think about just what you were asking!

That means that a question was asked in such a confusing way that I needed to stop and concentrate on what I was being asked. The questioner was using names that were created by an Italian translator, not by Barks or me. So I had to pause and try to figure out what characters and incident were being referred to.

Francis Drake
        Sceriffo di Valmitraglia
        PolliceSu

• Barks-Donrosiano e Pikappico
          • Mostra profilo
        PolliceSu
          Risposta #3738: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 11:02:29

Credo che il Don intendesse piuttosto "Mi son dovuto fermare a pensare a che cosa mi avevi chiesto!" ;)

Si, l'avevo reso in modo orribile. Corretto, grazie! :)

Francis Drake
          Sceriffo di Valmitraglia
          PolliceSu

• Mostra profilo
          PolliceSu
            Risposta #3739: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 11:05:16
            Me:
            <<<<<I had to stop and think about just what you were asking!

That means that a question was asked in such a confusing way that I needed to stop and concentrate on what I was being asked. The questioner was using names that were created by an Italian translator, not by Barks or me. So I had to pause and try to figure out what characters and incident were being referred to.

Yes, it was clear. It was my traslation that was not so clear, but it's now corrected!

TlatoSMD
            Brutopiano
            PolliceSu

• Novellino
              • Mostra profilo
            PolliceSu
              Risposta #3740: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 18:07:19
              All those angry Donalds and $crooges I draw for fans -- you think I'm drawing angry faces because I'm MAD at the fans? Why would you think that??? Of course not!!! I always ask each person "What character? What expression?" and draw whatever they tell me.

But MAD character faces are always more fun -- I can use lots of red and lots of "@#$%&!!!". But happy $crooges are also good because I can put lots of green "$"s floating around or in his eyes. Even when drawing a happy Daisy which I don't especially like to do), I can put sappy stuff like pink hearts around it. And a happy (evil) Magica face is best with all sorts of muti-color magical manifestations all around her! And Goldie gets smothered in gold paint-marker!!!

But I sort of try to discourage people from asking for a happy Donald -- it just looks insipid. He looks retarded. Vapid. (Too much like Daisy!) There's nothing I can put in it to show "motivation" (as Fellini would insist on), and no logical colors to add.

I can't imagine why you would think I would be so MAD as the face I'm drawing when doing drawings for comics fans. What an idea.

Oh wow, I'm so sorry Don! I never meant to say you would be mad at the fans. After all, I know you value the fans much higher than the Disney system, considering yourself a fan above anything else.

I never mentioned the emotion of anger (actually, angry Scrooges and Donalds look rather tough and "badass" to me when you're drawing them...sorta like superheroes showing off their muscles, I guess). I just noticed that the characters in two consecutive fan drawings can have totally different emotions. I didn't know you even ask most fans what expression they want.

If anything, I would've only imagined you finding the act of drawing for hours tedious, even if it's for the fans, as you've repeatedly said that you don't like drawing. I never meant to say that the tiring of an act over the course of a day could be the same as disliking the people you do it for. But my question wasn't about any specific emotion such as tedium, just if your current emotions show in your very expressive and diverse fan drawings.

If there's anybody I could imagine you being mad at, it would be people thinking they can jump the queue of so many loyal fans just because they wave a shiny press card so they can get a drawing before any of the fans, even if they don't even like your art or the Ducks in general. And most of all, if anybody I could imagine you being mad at it'd be the people who support the Disney licensing system.

Francis Drake
              Sceriffo di Valmitraglia
              PolliceSu

• Mostra profilo
              PolliceSu
                Risposta #3741: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 18:46:12

Oh, wow! Scusami Don! Non volevo dire che tu potessi essere arrabbiato con i fan. Dopotutto, so che tu tiene in considerazione i fan molto più di quanto faccia la Disney, considerando anche te stesso soprattutto un fa.

Non ho mai menzionato l'emozione della rabbia (difatti, i Paperoni e Paperini arrabbiati mi sembrano più duri e "tosti" quando li disegni… tipo dei supereroi che mostrano i muscoli, direi). Ho solo notato che i personaggi di due disegni per fan consecutivi possono mostare emozioni totalmente diverse. Non sapevo neanche che tu chiedessi a molti fan quale espressione volgiono.

Al massimo, avrei solo immaginato che tu trovassi noioso il disegnare per ore, anche se è per i fan, siccome hai detto più volte che non ami disegnare. Non ho mai voluto dire che la noia di un atto ripetuto per tutto il giorno equivalesse a non sopportare le persone per cui lo fai. Ma la mia domanda non era circa una specifica sensazione come la noia, solo se le tue emozioni correnti, vengono fuori nei tuoi disegni per i fan, così espressivi.

Se c'è qualcuno con cui immagino potresti essere arrabbiato, sarebbero le persone che pensano di poter saltare la fila di tanti fan appassionati, solo perchè mostrano la scintillante tessera da giornalista così da poter avere un disegno prima dei fan, anche se non apprezzano i tuoi disegni o i Paperi in generale. E soprattutto, se devo immaginare persone con cui puoi avercela, sarebbero coloro che supportano il sistema di licenze della Disney.

Don Rosa
                Gran Mogol
                PolliceSu   (1)

• Novellino
                  • Mostra profilo
                PolliceSu   (1)
                  Risposta #3742: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 19:58:46
                  TlatoSMD:
                  >>>>>If anything, I would've only imagined you finding the act of drawing for hours tedious, even if it's for the fans, as you've repeatedly said that you don't like drawing.

I hate drawing, but I never get tired of meeting comics fans. I have sat and drawn *non-stop* for fans for up to 10 hours. And people are always asking me if I am tired. And I'm not -- but I can't explain it. I actually feel MORE energy the longer I do it. Physically. It must be the adrenaline. But maybe adrenaline doesn't work on the brain. Because I do get really *stupid* after 9 or 10 hours.

I also don't drink anything during the whole time... because I don't want to have to excuse myself and make people wait for me to get back. But I will eat a sandwich, taking a bite between each fan in the queue.

>>>>>If there's anybody I could imagine you being mad at, it would be people thinking they can jump the queue of so many loyal fans just because they wave a shiny press card so they can get a drawing before any of the fans

Oh, si, I am always very careful of that. I don't allow interviewers to stop me during a signing session and making the real fans wait -- they need to make an appointment before or after the signing. And I won't do drawings for the interviewer's kids or friends after the real fans have stood in line hours to get the same thing. I've suffered at least one bad write-up by a newspaper guy who resented that I would not give him special treatment. They are used to dealing with people who WANT publicity because publicity makes them more popular and sells more of their books or whatever. When I get publicity that sells more stuff, that only makes money for the publishers and Disney, and they don't share it with me. So I have no reason to give the news media special treatment -- the comics fans come first.

Nothing "noble" about that -- it's just logical and fair.

TlatoSMD
                  Brutopiano
                  PolliceSu

• Novellino
                    • Mostra profilo
                  PolliceSu
                    Risposta #3743: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 20:10:19
                    I've suffered at least one bad write-up by a newspaper guy who resented that I would not give him special treatment.

I think I saw that in a German newspaper article. Guy was going on about you being "an arrogant artist" who's "the recent fad" and "can't draw a straight line", all just because you didn't draw for two kids, "not even when they started crying".

Way down in the comments to the article, one of the fans present at the event set it all straight: The journalist was late so the drawing session was already over, the two kids were his own that he'd dragged along, he kinda threatened you in front of the fans of "panning" you if you didn't draw for him and his kids, and eventually you did agree to draw for his kids.

Citazione
                    I hate drawing, but I never get tired of meeting comics fans. I have sat and drawn *non-stop* for fans for up to 10 hours. And people are always asking me if I am tired. And I'm not -- but I can't explain it. I actually feel MORE energy the longer I do it. Physically. It must be the adrenaline. But maybe adrenaline doesn't work on the brain. Because I do get really *stupid* after 9 or 10 hours.

Sounds like you should've drawn your stories during fan sessions to make the whole thing a much more pleasant experience than it obviously was when you did it at home! ;)

Citazione
                    Nothing "noble" about that -- it's just logical and fair.

Ain't nobleness the striving for fairness, plain and simple?
                    « Ultima modifica: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 20:27:37 da TlatoSMD »

Don Rosa
                    Gran Mogol
                    PolliceSu

• Novellino
                      • Mostra profilo
                    PolliceSu
                      Risposta #3744: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 21:24:13
                      TlatoSMD:
                      >>>>>I think I saw that in a German newspaper article. Guy was going on about you being "an arrogant artist" who's "the recent fad" and "can't draw a straight line", all just because you didn't draw for two kids,

By George -- that's the exact one! I bet you already knew that, which is why you made the comment about media people who "wave shiny press cards and jump the queue" so they don't need to stand in line for a drawing.

>>>>>>Way down in the comments to the article, one of the fans present at the event set it all straight: The journalist was late so the drawing session was already over, the two kids were his own that he'd dragged along, he kinda threatened you in front of the fans of "panning" you if you didn't draw for him and his kids

Hm. Apparently he uttered that threat in German to show off. I would CERTAINLY never cave in to a cheap threat like that!!!
                      Yes, I'd forgotten the other detail. He actually arrived AFTER the signing had ended. And he still thought he deserved a drawing without standing in line 3+ hours like everyone else had done.

I have a few such stories about sneaky, selfish, self-centered, bullying people like him in Europe. But not many. There are more in America. We call them Republicans.

>>>> and eventually you did agree to draw for his kids.

He might think so. To get rid of him (since I was trying to meet with the store owners), I did ONE drawing for HIM, not the kids... and I made sure it wasn't a good drawing. And I printed my name on it in block letters... I did not autograph it. He gets what he deserves.

Don Rosa
                      Gran Mogol
                      PolliceSu

• Novellino
                        • Mostra profilo
                      PolliceSu
                        Risposta #3745: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 22:00:08
                        Cornelius Coot 1818:
                        >>>>>About Canada I think it's possible, in the french area (Quebec), to find Disney comic books or magazines directly from France that could be (probably) the only ones in all North America!

I don't know if there are French Disney comics on the newsstands in Canada. The French publisher would need a special license to distribute their publications in another country, and I've never heard of any publisher having such a license. Well... there are Swedish Disney comics sold in a section of Finland where Swedish is the main language. But that might be a special case -- if they tried to keep Donald Duck comics out of Finland, there would probably be a bloody revolution. There could be French comics in French-Canada, but not shipped there by the publisher or handled by a distributor. "Black Market" Disney comics?

However, there are French-owned islands near Newfoundland and down in the Caribbean -- those definitely have French Disney comics... I've seen them in the Caribbean on Guadalupe.

And what about Greenland? That's part of the continent of North America, and also part of the nation of Denmark. They would surely have ANDERS AND (Donald Duck) comics there.

And how about Mexico and the nations south of there? There is a licensed Disney publisher in Mexico, and those editions are probably circulated down to the other Spanish-language countries. Y'know, North America includes all the land down to and including Panama.

But I hope we never again have Disney comics in the USA, not if they'd be done by people like Boom Studio. I'd rather see the characters disappear with dignity.

McDuck
                        Diabolico Vendicatore
                        PolliceSu

• Fliccus, Flaccus, Fannulorum!
                          • Mostra profilo
                        PolliceSu
                          Risposta #3746: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 22:48:35

Then there's FINLAND where Barks' Donald is so incredibly popular and beloved by everyone, and where I seem to be known by every single person in the entire nation. And I'm not being facetious -- even people who have never read comics know me since I get such media coverage there when I visit.
                          Hello Don!
                          Last year in Germany I asked my finnish friend if he knew you. His answer was: "Of course". That sounded incredible to me ;D
                          I later discovered that the same time I was asking him about you, you were in Cologne. :-[

Traduzione: Ciao Don! L'anno scorso, in Germania, ho chiesto ad un amico finlandese se ti conoscesse. Mi rispose: "ovviamente". Mi sembrò incredibile. Poco tempo fa scoprii che nello stesso momento in cui parlavo con lui di te, tu eri a Colonia.

Don Rosa
                          Gran Mogol
                          PolliceSu

• Novellino
                            • Mostra profilo
                          PolliceSu
                            Risposta #3747: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 23:34:15
                            McDuck:
                            >>>>>I later discovered that the same time I was asking him about you, you were in Cologne.

...In Cologne at the "Fantastic Shop" comics store being annoyed by that selfish reporter with the two kids! That's the very place where that happened! (In Oct. 2010 to be exact.) What a strange coincidence you should mention that!
                            « Ultima modifica: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 23:40:27 da Don_Rosa »

McDuck
                            Diabolico Vendicatore
                            PolliceSu

• Fliccus, Flaccus, Fannulorum!
                              • Mostra profilo
                            PolliceSu
                              Risposta #3748: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 23:40:50

...In Cologne being annoyed by that selfish reporter at the comic shop signing! Coincidentally, that's just where that happened! (In Oct. 2010 to be exact.)
                              Ja, germans have their way of talking about someone else. I only saw a photo of you and a greek friend on the internet, and I was like: "what the duck?".
                              Hope to see you in Turin. At least, to have enought money to do it :P

Francis Drake
                              Sceriffo di Valmitraglia
                              PolliceSu   (1)

• Mostra profilo
                              PolliceSu   (1)
                                Risposta #3749: Giovedì 9 Feb 2012, 23:48:09
                                TlatoSMD:
                                >>>>>Al massimo, avrei solo immaginato che tu trovassi noioso il disegnare per ore, anche se è per i fan, siccome hai detto più volte che non ami disegnare.

Odio disegnare, ma non mi stufo mai di incontrare i fan dei fumetti. Sono stato seduto a disegnare *non-stop* per i fan fino a 10 ore. E le persone mi chiedono continuamente se sono stanco. E non lo sono -- ma non so spiegarlo. In realtà mi sento PIU' energico più a lungo disegno. Fisicamente. Deve essere l'adrenalina. Ma forse l'adrenalina non funziona sul cervello. Perché mi sento davvero *stupido dopo 9 o 10 ore.

Non bevo neanche lungo tutto il tempo... perché non voglio dovermi scusare e fare aspettare le persone che io ritorni. Ma mangio un panino, prendendo un morso tra ogni fan della coda.

>>>>>Se c'è qualcuno con cui immagino potresti essere arrabbiato, sarebbero le persone che pensano di poter saltare la fila di tanti fan appassionati, solo perchè mostrano la scintillante tessera da giornalista così da poter avere un disegno prima dei fan

Oh, si, sono sempre molto attento a questo. Non permetto agli intervistatori di interrompermi durante una sessione e di fare aspettare i veri fan -- devono prendere un appuntamento prima o dopo la sessione. E non voglio fare disegni per i figli degli intervistatori o per i loro amici, dopo che i veri fan sono stati in coda ore per la stessa cosa. Ho sofferto almeno una dura critica da un tizio di un giornale, risentito che non gli avessi dato un trattamento speciale. Sono abituati ad avere a che fare con persone che VOGLIONO pubblicità, perché la pubblicità li rende più popolari e gli fa vendere di più i loro libri o qualsiasi cosa facciano. Quando ottengo pubblicità che fa vendere di più, faccio solo fare soldi alle case editrici e alla Disney, e loro non li dividono con me. Per cui non ho ragione di dare ai media un trattamento speciale -- i fan dei fumetti vengono prima.

Niente di "nobile" al riguardo -- è solo logico e giusto.

Dati personali, cookies e GDPR

Questo sito per poter funzionare correttamente utilizza dati classificati come "personali" insieme ai cosiddetti cookie tecnici.
                                In particolare per quanto riguarda i "dati personali", memorizziamo il tuo indirizzo IP per la gestione tecnica della navigazione sul forum, e - se sei iscritto al forum - il tuo indirizzo email per motivi di sicurezza oltre che tecnici, inoltre se vuoi puoi inserire la tua data di nascita allo scopo di apparire nella lista dei compleanni.
                                Il dettaglio sul trattamento dei dati personali è descritto nella nostra pagina delle politiche sulla privacy, dove potrai trovare il dettaglio di quanto riassunto in queste righe.

Per continuare con la navigazione sul sito è necessario accettare cliccando qui, altrimenti... amici come prima! :-)