Imperatore della Calidornia
PolliceSu

• Mais dire Mais
    • Mostra profilo
PolliceSu
    Re: Don Rosa
    Risposta #3795: Domenica 11 Mar 2012, 01:02:53

Hi Don,
    connecting with the recent Women's Day (march 8), how was your relationship with the Disney's feminine characters? I red you liked writing stories about Goldie and Magica; I don't know your thinking about Daisy, Grandma Duck, Miss Quackfaster or April, May and June too. Have you ever thought to create some new feminine characters?
    Thank you.

Salve Don,
    collegandoci alla recente Giornata della Donna (8 marzo), come è stato il tuo rapporto con i personaggi Disney femminili? Ho letto che ti piaceva scrivere storie con Doretta Doremì e Amelia. Non conosco il tuo pensiero su Paperina, Nonna Papera, Miss Paperett  o anche su Emy, Ely e Evy. Hai mai pensato di creare qualche nuovo personaggio femminile?
    Grazie.
    « Ultima modifica: Lunedì 12 Mar 2012, 21:13:43 da leo_63 »

Stronghold
    Bassotto
    PolliceSu   (3)

• Mostra profilo
    PolliceSu   (3)
      Risposta #3796: Venerdì 30 Mar 2012, 22:44:11
      Hello to everybody,

I apologize for the length of the post, but if I say it, I have to say it all...

For my whole life comics belonged to the "paper world" thus I had never thought of looking for any information on the internet. Or, at least, not until last time I decided to read all the Don Rosa stories in my ZP collection. When I reached the end, I wondered if I missed any of his stories and if any collection of Don Rosa's work had ever been published. From this start point, I first found the posters created for Uncle Scrooge’s 60th anniversary. With great surprise, in there was an image belonging to my long lost and forgotten story. What am I talking about?? When I was ten I moved, and in that occasion my mother made me throw away most of my comics. I saved just the ZPs which were my favourite, and a few others. I browsed through all of them to see what to keep, but I accidentally missed one comic containing a story that I liked a lot, which, seen through kid's eyes, looked so crazy and wonderful. When later I found out I didn't have it anymore, I got so mad! and sad :( I never forgot its existence, although after so many years I didn't remember anything of it. Until I saw "The #1 Dime!" and... after eighteen years I recognized it! At the time I hadn't found the detailed information about which stories the posters referred to, it would have saved me a lot of research. But I got it anyway, because I knew that, if it wasn't a Don Rosa story, then it was from Barks! And browsing all his titles, I finally found out that my long lost and forgotten story was "The Many Faces of Magica DeSpell". And here goes a first thank you to Don, because I don't know if or when I would have found that story again! Then, back to searching if any Don Rosa Collection had ever been published, that research led me... here! And this was a greatest surprise, finding Don Rosa in person - well - words! It took me a good while to read through almost all the thread, and I learnt so many things I ignored completely and some of which left me bitter. Before, I would have thought: "Who am I to bother a great artist such as Don Rosa to tell him that I think he's great? He already knows!". Now I think that, even though many other people have told him, he deserves to be told once more. So, although my general reluctancy in communicating with the world (especially in such an "official" way!), here go my thoughts for Don Rosa. Thank you for your beautiful creations, you're a sublime artist. I love the way you draw and tell your stories, they're always amazing in every detail. I like them for they are not "stories for kids", plots and characters have a depth that make them feel real. And the interconnection between the stories enhances this even more. Thank you for the adventures I would have never lived, for the friends I would have never had, for the glimpse of happiness you bestowed to a little girl in her darkest days. Thank you also for teaching me lots of things, how many times my mom, surprised, asked me: "Where did you learn that??" "In comics! Don't come and tell me that reading comics is a waste of time...". Reading your words in this forum made the esteem for the artist become also esteem for the person. Nice to "meet" you Don, you're great! And, above all, GRAZIE!

A word also for all of you who translated everything, compliments! That has seriously been an enormous task! If you don't mind, I can help with it in the future :)

Ciao a tutti,

mi scuso per la lunghezza del post, ma se la dico, devo dirla tutta...

Per tutta la mia vita i fumetti sono appartenuti al "mondo della carta" pertanto non ho mai pensato di cercare informazioni a riguardo in internet. O, almeno, non fino all'ultima volta che decisi di leggere tutte le storie di Don Rosa nella mia collezione di ZP. Quandi giunsi alla fine, mi chiesi se ci fossero delle sue storie che mi mancassero e se fosse mai stata pubblicata alcuna raccolta del lavoro di Don Rosa. Da questo punto di partenza, prima trovai i poster creati per il sessantesimo anniversario di Zio Paperone. Con grande sorpresa, c'era lì un'immagine appartenente alla mia storia da lungo tempo perduta e dimenticata. Di che sto parlando?? Quando avevo dieci anni mi trasferii, e in quell'occasione mia madre mi fece buttare via la maggior parte dei miei fumetti. Salvai giusto gli Zio Paperone, che erano i miei preferiti, e pochi altri. Li sfogliai tutti per vedere cosa tenere, ma mi sfuggì accidentalmente un giornalino contenente una storia che mi piaceva un sacco, la quale, vista con gli occhi di un bambino, sembrava così folle e fantastica. Quando più tardi scoprii di non averla più, mi arriabbiai e rattristai così tanto! :( Non dimenticai mai la sua esistenza, sebbene dopo così tanti anni non ricordavo più nulla di essa. Finché vidi "Il primo decino" e... dopo diciott'anni la riconobbi! Allora non avevo trovato le informazioni dettagliate sulle storie alle quali i poster facevano riferimento, mi avrebbe risparmiato un sacco di ricerche. Ma la trovai ugualmente, perché sapevo che, se non era una storia di Don Rosa, allora era di Barks! E sfogliando tutti i suoi titoli, finalmente scoprii che la mia storia da lungo tempo perduta e dimenticata era "Amelia maga del cangiante". E qui va un primo grazie a Don, perché non so se o quando avrei mai ritrovato quella storia! Poi, tornando a cercare se fosse mai stata pubblicata una collezione di Don Rosa, quella ricerca mi portò... qui! E questa fu una sopresa più grande, trovare Don Rosa in persona - be' - parole! Mi ci volle un bel po' per leggere più o meno tutto il thread, e appresi così tante cose che ignoravo completamente e alcune delle quali mi lasciarano amareggiata. Prima avrei pensato: "Chi sono io per rompere le scatole a un grande artista come Don Rosa per dirgli che lo ritengo un grande? Già lo sa!". Ora penso che, anche se gliel'hanno già detto molti altri, meriti che glielo si dica ancora una volta. Così, nonstante la mia generale riluttanza a comunicare col mondo (specialmente in modo così "ufficiale"!), qui vanno i miei pensieri per Don Rosa. Grazie per le tue bellissime creazioni, sei un artista sublime. Adoro il modo in cui disegni e racconti le tue storie, sono sempre meravigliose in ogni dettaglio. Mi piacciono perché non sono "storie per bambini", le trame e i personaggi hanno una profondità che li fa sentire reali. E le interconnessioni tra le storie accresce questa sensazione ancora di più. Grazie per le avventure che non avrei mai vissuto, per gli amici che non avrei mai avuto, per il barlume di felicità che hai donato a una ragazzina nei suoi giorni più oscuri. Grazie anche per avermi insegnato un sacco di cose, quante volte mia madre, sorpresa, mi chiese: "Dove l'hai imparato??" "Nei fumetti! Non venirmi a dire che leggere fumetti è una perdita di tempo...". Leggere le tue parole in questo forum ha trasformato la stima per l'artista anche in stima per la persona. Piacere di "conoscerti" Don, sei un grande! E, soprattutto, GRAZIE!

Una parola anche per tutti voi che avete tradotto tutto, complimenti! E' stato un lavoro seriamente enorme! Se non vi dà fastidio, posso dare una mano anch'io in futuro :)

Ronflex
      Evroniano
      PolliceSu

• Mostra profilo
      PolliceSu
        Risposta #3797: Sabato 31 Mar 2012, 13:21:16
        Is REALLY Don Rosa writing on this italian forum? GREAT!
        I have nothing to say more than THANKS, your duck stories are, imho, the best ones ever and ever and ever. True Love. XD

• Wak!
          • Mostra profilo
        PolliceSu
          Risposta #3798: Domenica 1 Apr 2012, 18:20:47
          While we are at this thanking thingemagic, I want to thank you for all your AMAZING adventures, Don
          And how I wish, I could meet you!
          Best Regards from Danish Donaldist Society member no. 299!

Przemyslaw
          Bassotto
          PolliceSu   (3)

• Novellino
            • Mostra profilo
          PolliceSu   (3)
            Risposta #3799: Venerdì 6 Apr 2012, 15:21:24
            (I am very sorry but since I am from Sweden I cannot write this in Italian. I hope it is okay with you that a Swedish fan of Italian comics is using this forum)

Dear Mr Rosa! You are an outstanding comic book artist and in all respects my idol. You truly are Carl Barks' successor (i.e. your drawings have the same impact on the readers today as had Barks in the 40's, 50's and 60's). Your "The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck" is an excellent piece of writing and drawing and contains references to almost every relevant Barks comic. Nevertheless, after reading all 12 (or 18) chapters of your magnum opus I have got three questions for you:

1) In "Hound of the Whiskervilles", Unca $crooge states that he has never seen the clan Mc Duck tartan before: "Nay, Donald! The kilts and plaids of the McDucks were lost, along with their other possessions, in the dreadful years of the hound!" Yet, the beautiful tartan is shown in e.g. chapters 1, 9 and 12 of "The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck. How is that?

2) In "September Scrimmage" (from Mickey Mouse Almanac 1, 1957), Unca $crooge mentions that he was once a student (or at least played football) at Webfoot Tech. "back in the 80's". Do you acknowledge this piece of Barks trivia to be canon, and if so, why is this not mentioned in any chapter of "The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck"?

3) Why is Poncey de Loon not part of your famous and exquisite Duck Family Tree? He is, after all, mentioned by Grandma Duck to be "a distant cousin of us Ducks" in the opening panel of "That's No Fable!". And could not General Stonewall Duck too be an ancestor of Donald (even though this is not explicitly said in "The Village Blacksmith")?

Please, do not get me wrong. To me it does not matter wheter there are minor inconsistencies in the Duck universe or not. Again, Don, you are my favourite comic book artist in the world! Thank you for everything!

Dippy Dawg
            Dittatore di Saturno
            PolliceSu   (3)

• Mostra profilo
            PolliceSu   (3)
              Risposta #3800: Venerdì 6 Apr 2012, 17:06:17
              I hope it is okay with you that a Swedish fan of Italian comics is using this forum)
              It's not only okay... it's a very beautiful thing! :D
              Io son nomato Pippo e son poeta
              Or per l'Inferno ce ne andremo a spasso
              Verso un'oscura e dolorosa meta

Stronghold
              Bassotto
              PolliceSu

• Mostra profilo
              PolliceSu
                Risposta #3801: Venerdì 6 Apr 2012, 17:12:21
                Yeah, and not at all a problem for the language, Italian translation in progress! :)

Sì, e nessun problema per la lingua, traduzione in italiano in corso! :)

Stronghold
                Bassotto
                PolliceSu   (1)

• Mostra profilo
                PolliceSu   (1)
                  Risposta #3802: Venerdì 6 Apr 2012, 17:34:39
                  (I am very sorry but since I am from Sweden I cannot write this in Italian. I hope it is okay with you that a Swedish fan of Italian comics is using this forum)

Dear Mr Rosa! You are an outstanding comic book artist and in all respects my idol. You truly are Carl Barks' successor (i.e. your drawings have the same impact on the readers today as had Barks in the 40's, 50's and 60's). Your "The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck" is an excellent piece of writing and drawing and contains references to almost every relevant Barks comic. Nevertheless, after reading all 12 (or 18) chapters of your magnum opus I have got three questions for you:

1) In "Hound of the Whiskervilles", Unca $crooge states that he has never seen the clan Mc Duck tartan before: "Nay, Donald! The kilts and plaids of the McDucks were lost, along with their other possessions, in the dreadful years of the hound!" Yet, the beautiful tartan is shown in e.g. chapters 1, 9 and 12 of "The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck. How is that?

2) In "September Scrimmage" (from Mickey Mouse Almanac 1, 1957), Unca $crooge mentions that he was once a student (or at least played football) at Webfoot Tech. "back in the 80's". Do you acknowledge this piece of Barks trivia to be canon, and if so, why is this not mentioned in any chapter of "The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck"?

3) Why is Poncey de Loon not part of your famous and exquisite Duck Family Tree? He is, after all, mentioned by Grandma Duck to be "a distant cousin of us Ducks" in the opening panel of "That's No Fable!". And could not General Stonewall Duck too be an ancestor of Donald (even though this is not explicitly said in "The Village Blacksmith")?

Please, do not get me wrong. To me it does not matter wheter there are minor inconsistencies in the Duck universe or not. Again, Don, you are my favourite comic book artist in the world! Thank you for everything!

(mi dispiace molto ma venendo dalla Svezia non so scrivere questo in italiano. Spero sia ok per voi se un fan svedese di fumetti italiani usi questo forum)

Caro Mr Rosa! Sei un eccezionale artista di fumetti e, con tutto rispetto, il mio idolo. Sei veramente il successore di Carl Barks (cioè i tuoi disegni hanno lo stesso impatto sui lettori che aveva Barks negli anni '40, '50 e '60). La tua "Saga di Paperon De Paperoni" è un eccellente pezzo di scrittura e di disegni e contiene riferimenti a quasi ogni storia rilevante di Barks. Nonostante questo, dopo aver letto tutti i 12 (o 18) capitoli della tua magnum opus ho tre domande da farti:

1) Ne "Il clan di Zio Paperone", Zio Paperone afferma di non aver mai visto prima il tartan dei De Paperoni: "Mai! I gonnellini e i plaid dei De' Paperoni andaroni persi, insieme con tutti gli altri beni, nei tristi anni del mastino!" Eppure, il bellissimo tartan è mostrato nei capitoli 1, 9 e 12 della Saga di Paperon De Paperoni. Com'è possibile?

2) In "Paperino e il gioco vecchio stile" (da Almanacco Topolino n°1, 1957), Zio Paperone menziona di essere stato uno studente (o almeno di aver giocato a football) al Webfoot Tech. 'ai tempi degli anni '80'. Riconosci questo fatto barkisiano [concedetemi la traduzione] come canonico e, se sì, perché non è menzionato in alcun capitolo della Saga?

3) Perché Don Papito Espadòn non fa parte del tuo famoso e squisito albero genealogico della famiglia dei paperi? Egli è, dopo tutto, menzionato da Nonna Papera come un "nostro lontano cugino" nel pannelli di apertura di "Zio Paperone e la fonte della giovinezza". E non potrebbe anche il generale Stonewall Duck [purtroppo non ho la versione italiana della storia e nemmeno online riesco a trovare il suo corrispettivo] essere un antenato di Paperino (sebbene non sia detto esplicitamente in "Paperino fabbro del villaggio")?

Perfavore, non fraintendermi. A me non importa se ci sono o meno delle incongruenze minori nell'universo dei paperi. Di nuovo, Don, sei il autore di fumetti preferito del mondo! Grazie di tutto!

Przemyslaw
                  Bassotto
                  PolliceSu

• Novellino
                    • Mostra profilo
                  PolliceSu
                    Risposta #3803: Venerdì 13 Apr 2012, 17:15:57
                    Thanks for the translation! Wonderful job!  :)

Grazie per la traduzione! Ottimo lavoro! (using Google Translate)

paolobar
                    Visir di Papatoa
                    PolliceSu

• Mostra profilo
                    PolliceSu
                      Risposta #3804: Sabato 21 Apr 2012, 20:54:07
                      Where did Don go?

TlatoSMD
                      Brutopiano
                      PolliceSu   (2)

• Novellino
                        • Mostra profilo
                      PolliceSu   (2)
                        Risposta #3805: Domenica 22 Apr 2012, 02:07:19
                        Where did Don go?

My guess is that he's still scared of my 2-page long post that he promised to reply to.

Don Rosa
                        Gran Mogol
                        PolliceSu   (2)

• Novellino
                          • Mostra profilo
                        PolliceSu   (2)
                          Risposta #3806: Venerdì 4 Mag 2012, 00:42:55
                          paolobar:
                          >>>>>Where did Don go?

Well... I'm always right here, with a few trips to American comic cons and to Europe events.
                          But my schedule does not make it easy to stay focused on certain websites, even one as dear to my heart as THIS one. This Spring has been *particularly* difficult for me on my 10 hectare nature preserve. Due to Global Warming, all my May chores of mowing and spraying and planting and so on all came on me suddenly 2 months early in March! So, the spare time I usually spend browsing this forum disappeared. As did all my time for all the camping and canoeing activities that I had been planning all winter! And I'm the sort who is a creature of habit... of a certain schedule. So, I stopped having an hour or two in the early evening to browse sites like this -- I was busy in the yard. And MUCH of my life suffered! I have not been patroling eBay for all my collector needs for months now. And my e-mails to even old pals have really fallen behind.

I am only slightly beginning to get caught up on yard chores, and in between trips. And the main thing I have long intended to deal with was my presence on this beloved forum.

So, even though I still have many yard chores and duties owed to this new Egmont DON ROSA COLLECTION book set (that I wish my Italian countrymen could see, but I fear they won't), and I still have not done any Spring camping, I want to try to get back to having a presence on this site, the only comics fan forum in the world on which I want to have a presence.

... that is, IF anyone needs me here. That's the main question. I only respond to direct questions. I never indulge in self promotion.

But I also recall questions had dropped off (which is OKAY! I should only be involved if I am invited). And most correspondence was from a nice non-Italian fan, which I was not sure was appreciated by the forum -- why should a non-Italian be questioning an American here on a forum that belongs to Italian comic fans? I don't wish to be an intruder.

So, okay, let's see if anyone needs anything just now....
                          « Ultima modifica: Venerdì 4 Mag 2012, 09:10:21 da Don_Rosa »

Don Rosa
                          Gran Mogol
                          PolliceSu

• Novellino
                            • Mostra profilo
                          PolliceSu
                            Risposta #3807: Venerdì 4 Mag 2012, 01:07:50
                            Przemyslaw:

First of all, THANK YOU for all the nice comments!!!!

>>>>>1) In "Hound of the Whiskervilles", Unca $crooge states that he has never before seen the clan McDuck tartan: "Nay, Donald! The kilts and plaids of the McDucks were lost, along with their other possessions, in the dreadful years of the hound!" Yet, the beautiful tartan is shown in e.g. chapters 1, 9 and 12 of "The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck. How is that?

Si, I've replied to this matter elsewhere. Obviously, the McDuck tartan needed to be prominent in the telling of the McDuck history in my "Life of $crooge" series. But I also knew that Barks' $crooge said he had no memory of the tartan.
                            Well, it's really simple. I can assume he forgot it, as he says in other stories that he has forgotten other things in his past. He was maybe 35 when he last saw it, and 85 when he said he had no memory of it. I'm only 60, and I sure wish I recall everything I knew when I was 35!!! Si, this is a "convenient justification". So... what's wrong with a plausible "convenient justification"? The important thing is that I used the tartan in his life story.

>>>>>>2) In "September Scrimmage" (from Mickey Mouse Almanac 1, 1957), Unca $crooge mentions that he was once a student (or at least played football) at Webfoot Tech. "back in the 80's". Do you acknowledge this piece of Barks trivia to be canon, and if so, why is this not mentioned in any chapter of "The Life and Times of $crooge McDuck"?

I only need to refer to what Barks had previously written about $crooge's pas: He was a poor shoeshine boy in Glasgow. He made his first money as a 30-something sourdough in the Yukon in 1898. He moved to Duckburg years after that. Why on Earth would he attend college at that point? I either -- A) dismiss this as a fib or a "throwaway gag". B) This story appeared in a "special" issue of Dell comics, and not in one of the main titles like WDC&S, DONALD DUCK or UNCLE $CROOGE -- Barks often only drew and did not write these stories (perhaps never?). So I might decide this is not an actual Barks fact. C) It is a Barks fact, like a very few others, that is self-contradictory to other previously established Barks facts, so I openly choose to ignore it as impossible.
                            For any one, or all three, of these reasons, I dismiss the idea that $crooge ever went to college, *especially* in Duckburg, as clearly false.

A "distant cousin" is quite vague and problematic to know where it could be included on such a limited Tree that I was asked to design. I "cheated" a bit even when I sprinkled the McDuck ancestors on the trunk of the McDuck Clan tree, mainly because they were mentioned in such a famous story as "The Old Castle's Secret" --  the way I jammed them haphazardly onto the trunk was quite improper for a Family Tree. Another Barks-mentioned Duck relative that I purposely chose to delete (out of necessity!) was one mentioned in "The Gilded Man".
                            Another thing you would see in Egmont publications is my article on how I constructed that Family Tree, what I included, what I left out, and what I changed after getting new revisions of his own ideas directly from Mr. Barks. As you know, a *complete* family trees would be vastly more complex than that simplified one I designed at Egmont's request. (I never knew it would become perhaps the most FAMOUS single thing I ever did... especially in Italia!)
                            « Ultima modifica: Venerdì 4 Mag 2012, 09:08:09 da Don_Rosa »

Don Rosa
                            Gran Mogol
                            PolliceSu

• Novellino
                              • Mostra profilo
                            PolliceSu
                              Risposta #3808: Venerdì 4 Mag 2012, 01:11:21
                              TlatoSMD:
                              >>>>>My guess is that he's still scared of my 2-page long post that he promised to reply to.

That was quite a while ago! Before I spend all the time to reply to that message, please restate all the questions that you still need answered.
                              Grazie.

Don Rosa
                              Gran Mogol
                              PolliceSu   (1)

• Novellino
                                • Mostra profilo
                              PolliceSu   (1)
                                Risposta #3809: Venerdì 4 Mag 2012, 01:34:31
                                Cornelius Coot 1818:
                                >>>>>connecting with the recent Women's Day (march 8), how was your relationship with the Disney's feminine characters? I red you liked writing stories about Goldie and Magica; I don't know your thinking about Daisy, Grandma Duck, Miss Quackfaster or April, May and June too. Have you ever thought to create some new feminine characters?

Believe it or not, I just spent about 35 minutes writing a PROFOUND reply to this. But then there was a computer malfunction and my reply text disappeared. I'll try it again tomorrow!

Dati personali, cookies e GDPR

Questo sito per poter funzionare correttamente utilizza dati classificati come "personali" insieme ai cosiddetti cookie tecnici.
                                In particolare per quanto riguarda i "dati personali", memorizziamo il tuo indirizzo IP per la gestione tecnica della navigazione sul forum, e - se sei iscritto al forum - il tuo indirizzo email per motivi di sicurezza oltre che tecnici, inoltre se vuoi puoi inserire la tua data di nascita allo scopo di apparire nella lista dei compleanni.
                                Il dettaglio sul trattamento dei dati personali è descritto nella nostra pagina delle politiche sulla privacy, dove potrai trovare il dettaglio di quanto riassunto in queste righe.

Per continuare con la navigazione sul sito è necessario accettare cliccando qui, altrimenti... amici come prima! :-)