Gran Mogol
PolliceSu   (1)

• Novellino
    • Mostra profilo
PolliceSu   (1)
    Re: Don Rosa
    Risposta #4410: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 16:06:00
    Casey Coot:
    >>>>>One thing that I'm really curious about is the coloring. ...There is one coloring that I'm really not sure about, and that's bugging me all the time, and that is the one of the male Ducks' hair. You have said, several times, that all male Ducks should have white hair just like Donald and $crooge,

I should amend that to "all male Ducks whom *I* created should have white hair by default". I have always bowed to the ideas and visions of the writers or artists (or colorists) who came before me... well, the American ones, which are the only ones I can know about. I even also bow to the fan writers who came before, like Mark Worden who created a Barks Duck Family Tree about 15 years before I did.
    If Ducks are sometimes shown with colored hair, then that makes Donald look bald, which I don't think he should. He just has short hair. This does not conflict with my affirmation that these are human caricatures rather than talking ducks, even though I would agree that it seems like I should want ALL their hair colored if I see them as humans. Well, we can't all explain our gut feelings.
    But one thing I can say is that when the first chapter of my "Life of $crooge" appeared in America, the colorist (with no input from me, as usual) gave little $crooge a head full of fluffy brown hair. This staggered me! It looked totally wrong! Really, really wrong. (Besides, his whiskers were still left white, and that didn't make sense.) I explained that to the publisher, but it was too late to change it for the following chapters. But the colorist had a brilliant idea, at least to fix that series of printings -- in chapter 4 when $crooge sticks his finger in a lightbulb socket in 1882 (er... you had to be there), the shock bleached his hair white. Ha!

>>>>>but still, in the debated "Jamie Hawkins" family tree,

Sorry -- "debated" how? The colors? Or...?
    And please don't call it the "Jamie Hawkins" Family Tree. I have written perhaps over a hundred fans' names on copies of that Tree... it's only that one guy named Jamie Hawkins put his copy onto the Internet somewhere. But you knew that was the case, right?

>>>>>they all have very different colors. Once and for all, which are the real colors for the male Ducks' hair? Are they all white, and in that case, are there any exceptions whatsoever when it comes to the Ducks in the family tree, according to you?

That Family Tree that I have copies of at American comics shows, the one that correctly includes Ludwig Von Drake, is one that I drew for a friend some years ago. He wanted it to be colorful, so I colored most Duck's hair -- I did not foresee that anyone but HIM would ever see that Tree -- it was years later that I started making copies from my file copy to take to American comics show. Otherwise I would not have colored any male Duck other than (as I say above) those which had already appeared with colored hair in past comics.

Any published versions of the one I created for Egmont 20+ years ago has been colored by someone else without any input from me.

>>>>>What about Cornelius and Casey Coot? They always seem to be blonde.
    Grandpa Duck is often brown-haired (though I don't like it).

I agree about Grandpa Duck's hair. And I'd prefer to see Cornelius and Casey Coot's hair white also. But it doesn't matter much -- it's doubtful that these characters will ever appear in comic stories again.
    As for other Ducks... let's see. I think I like Gladstone's hair with some color -- he is a fop and he probably dyes it. Who are other main Ducks you're wondering about?
    The lady Ducks should have colored hair for no other reason than just so they look pretty... after all, how could Glittering Goldie ever NOT have golden hair?!?

>>>>>One matter that we've been discussing over at Swedish www.kalleanka.se is the color of Eider Duck's hair. Is it white or brown?

Why Eider in particular?
    Well, eider down is usually thought of as white, from the white breast of an eider duck, so I think that I would think "white" just from hearing the name "Eider Duck". But as I say they are not really talking ducks, so that shouldn't matter. (And besides, eiderdown is usually grayish, being a mixture that includes some eider ducks' black feathers.)

>>>>>And lastly, HDL's father. We don't know his name, but is his face the one in the family tree according to you? In that case, is he supposed to have brown or white hair?

I copied that face off the old Mark Worden Tree, but that Tree was in b&w. So I guess you'd need to ask Mark what he thinks. (Don't ask me where he is.)

Casey Coot
    Bassotto
    PolliceSu   (1)

• Nuovo arrivato
      • Mostra profilo
    PolliceSu   (1)
      Risposta #4411: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 19:10:44
      Sorry -- "debated" how? The colors? Or...?
      And please don't call it the "Jamie Hawkins" Family Tree. I have written perhaps over a hundred fans' names on copies of that Tree... it's only that one guy named Jamie Hawkins put his copy onto the Internet somewhere. But you knew that was the case, right?
      Well, the tree always comes up in different discussions, and people seem to be surprised that Ludwig's there, but the most shocking thing for most guys is that HDL's father is named Jamie Hawkins on the copy that's found online. They don't seem to understand that he's named after the owner of the picture and that it's not the real name of the Duck. That's why I called it debated. And I did know that "the 'Jamie Hawkins' tree" wasn't a good name for it, but for some reason I did think that Hawkins was the name of the guy it was originally made for. Isn't that the case? Oh well.

Who are other main Ducks you're wondering about?
      Oh, actually no one else. There's not that many Ducks in the tree after all. The ones that I mentioned in my question were the ones I was unsure about. And you answered those. But now that I'm at it... Is there anyone of the McDuck ancestors (and Quagmire and Dingus) who doesn't have white hair? And do you have a personal opinion on who out of Hortense and Matilda is the blonde and who is the brunette?

Why Eider in particular?
      It's a long story. We were discussing HDL's father when someone said that the portrait in your new family tree looks like Eider Duck. Someone even tried to explain why Eider WAS HDL's father. I pointed out some main arguments against that (which obviously was a joke from the beginning), and also that they don't have the same hair color. Then we suddenly started discussing the color of Eider's hair and someone said it's orange/brown, because that's the color you use in the new family tree, while I said it's most likely white, since you've said that all males should be white-haired. And that's when I decided to ask you.

I copied that face off the old Mark Worden Tree, but that Tree was in b&w. So I guess you'd need to ask Mark what he thinks. (Don't ask me where he is.)
      I guess Mark Worden is the only one who actually knows, but I think I'll stick to him with brown hair in my personal opinion. That hairstyle doesn't really look good when drawn in white.

So, anyway, wow! Now I finally know! I can't thank you enough! I... uhm... THANK YOU!  ;D

Don Rosa
      Gran Mogol
      PolliceSu

• Novellino
        • Mostra profilo
      PolliceSu
        Risposta #4412: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 22:08:36
        Casey Coot:
        >>>>>And I did know that "the 'Jamie Hawkins' tree" wasn't a good name for it, but for some reason I did think that Hawkins was the name of the guy it was originally made for. Isn't that the case?

No, that is not the name of the friend for whom I drew the Tree. The name "Jamie Hawkins" is NOT on the Tree at all! On the original art of that version of the Tree, on the prints of it that I take to shows, and as it has been published in Rosa books in the Egmont countries, the name of HD&L's father, and their last names, are simply blank labels.
        But when I autograph those Family Tree prints, I hand-write the name of whoever buys it into that label, as well as his last name into the tags for HD&L. As I've said, there have been over a hundred different names written in that space besides just "Jamie Hawkins".

>>>>>Is there anyone of the McDuck ancestors (and Quagmire and Dingus) who doesn't have white hair?

All I can tell you is, again, *I* personally like the hair color of male Ducks as white. Most of those guys are wearing helmets or hats -- you can imagine their hair as any color you wish!

>>>>>And do you have a personal opinion on who out of Hortense and Matilda is the blonde and who is the brunette?

Oh, not THAT'S a different matter! From the first, I suggested to Egmont that the sweet and pretty sister, Matilda, should obviously have angelic BLONDE hair... and the hot-tempered feisty sister, Hortense, should obviously be the brunette. But they seldom paid attention to my coloring suggestions. In this case, though young $crooge's hair was colored wrong in American comics, his sisters' hair was colored as I wished. (Maybe it was only a coincidence.)

Casey Coot
        Bassotto
        PolliceSu

• Nuovo arrivato
          • Mostra profilo
        PolliceSu
          Risposta #4413: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 22:34:07
          >>>>>Is there anyone of the McDuck ancestors (and Quagmire and Dingus) who doesn't have white hair?

All I can tell you is, again, *I* personally like the hair color of male Ducks as white. Most of those guys are wearing helmets or hats -- you can imagine their hair as any color you wish!
          I supposed so. Just had to check  :)

Thank you again!  :D

alexthereader
          --
          PolliceSu

PolliceSu
            Risposta #4414: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 23:38:25
            Mr. Rosa, there's one question I want to ask you. I have noticed that in many of your stories, you depict Donald Duck in a quite reamarkable manner: The Duck who Never Was, Super Snooper Strikes Again, The Three Caballeros Ride Again, and many others, not to mention his honourable behaviour in Scrooge's stories like A Little Something Special, or The Old Castle's Other Secret and many others. On the other hand, you have sometimes depicted him as a total asshole, the conventional ignorant, lazy, and tv addicted middle-class man, like in The Guardians of Lost Library, and some others Scrooge stories in wich he "must" play the clown's role in order to have Scrooge shine more brightly, like Treasure Under Glass, and partially Escape from Forbidden Valley.
            I wanted to ask you the reason, since i'm a huge Donald fan, as you can guess by my nickname, and if I remember well,  in the majority of your stories you depict Donald in a very positive way, something that I appreciate.
            Thank you for your kindness.
            « Ultima modifica: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 23:39:38 da alexthereader »

Quackmore
            Cugino di Alf
            PolliceSu

• aka Michele
              • Mostra profilo
            PolliceSu
              Risposta #4415: Lunedì 7 Apr 2014, 12:46:05
              Well, dear Don, you did colour with brown Quackmore's hair in the drawing you made for me and you can see in my avatar picture! But I see your point now, it sounds new and interesting to me.

Don, hai disegnato di castano i capelli di Quackmore nel disegno che hai fatto per me e che puoi vedere nel mio avatar. Però adesso ho capito il tuo punto di vista, mi suona nuovo e interessante.
              « Ultima modifica: Lunedì 7 Apr 2014, 12:46:58 da Quackmore »
              Michele

Don Rosa
              Gran Mogol
              PolliceSu   (3)

• Novellino
                • Mostra profilo
              PolliceSu   (3)
                Risposta #4416: Lunedì 7 Apr 2014, 21:55:58
                DonaldPaperinik:
                >>>>>I have noticed that in many of your stories, you depict Donald Duck in a quite reamarkable manner: The Duck who Never Was, Super Snooper Strikes Again, The Three Caballeros Ride Again, ... A Little Something Special, or The Old Castle's Other Secret and many others. On the other hand, you have sometimes depicted him as a total asshole, the conventional ignorant, lazy, and tv addicted middle-class man, like in The Guardians of Lost Library, and some others Scrooge stories in wich he "must" play the clown's role in order to have Scrooge shine more brightly, like Treasure Under Glass, and partially Escape from Forbidden Valley.

Well, there are those who complain that I *always* portray DD as a worthless dope. And I want to shake them and say "But what about (the stories you mention above) when I had him save the day through his own determination and heroism?!" But I know they've already made their judgment on me for other reasons and there's no reason to discuss it.

Then there was "Guardians of the Lost Library" where I purposely had DD portray that segment of society... it was sort of a "philosophical play". The Norwegian publisher for whom I created that story wanted that as Egmont-Norway's contribution to Norway's "Year of the Book" year-long celebration of books in... whenever that was... 1992? The publisher wanted to convey certain points, and this is how I decided to handle it. So maybe that story can be granted "special dispensation" to portray DD as a boob.

But if you think I portray him as too much of a boob in any other stories... maybe you're right. I have freely admitted that Americans have a totally different viewpoint on DD than any other readers. Here, Carl Barks' DD solo stories were only seen in the 10-page gag stories in a comic book that did not carry his name, WALT DISNEY'S COMICS & STORIES. They were great, great stories, but they were short and not epic adventures. Barks' DD adventure tales had appeared only in the very early issues of the DONALD DUCK title in the late 40s and very early 50s... long gone and long forgotten comics for those of us growing up in the 50s-70s.
                But then we had a comic titled UNCLE $CROOGE! In that title were all the classic Barks adventure epics. DD was always there, but he was a mere sidekick, usually getting into some problem that complicated things -- U$ would mess up as well, but the comic was named after him and the story had his logo on the first page, not DD's.

Meanwhile, in Europe, DD has always been the star of his own title where U$ always was a back-up feature.

So, it would be natural if I see DD as U$'s funny sidekick rather than how Europeans see him. (But I think it's unfair when someone says I treat him that way ALL the time.)

Don Rosa
                Gran Mogol
                PolliceSu   (1)

• Novellino
                  • Mostra profilo
                PolliceSu   (1)
                  Risposta #4417: Lunedì 7 Apr 2014, 22:03:46
                  Quackmore:
                  >>>>>you did colour with brown Quackmore's hair in the drawing you made for me and you can see in my avatar picture!

Well, that's mainly because I always add a spot of color when I do sketches for fans. I've learned that just a tiny bit of color makes the scribble look ten times better than it is! So, I colored Quackmore's tie at the bottom and his hair at the top.

And with that reply, I must mention that I am leaving tomorrow for a trip to Europe, so I won't have time to answer any questions here for about ten days. I'm going to Finland for the release of the music CD based on my "Life of $crooge" stories. Then, as long as I was already in Europe, I was also invited to Greece by comics fan club and sign & draw for the public at a meeting hall they have rented for a few days. Maybe someday I can do something like that in Italia! I don't get invited to any "official" comic festivals there these days like I was some years back.

Casey Coot
                  Bassotto
                  PolliceSu

• Nuovo arrivato
                    • Mostra profilo
                  PolliceSu
                    Risposta #4418: Lunedì 7 Apr 2014, 23:01:29
                    I'm going to Finland for the release of the music CD based on my "Life of $crooge" stories.
                    It sure would be nice to be there, but it'd take me the whole day to get to Helsinki, stand in line, and get home again, for only a very brief time with you. I'll aim for the Helsinki book fair in October instead!

alexthereader
                    --
                    PolliceSu

PolliceSu
                      Risposta #4419: Martedì 8 Apr 2014, 00:32:49
                      Thank for your answer. In fact, I was used to think you portrayed Donald as a dope the majority of time, too, but then I remembered the stories I quoted (and some others that i remember now) in wich he is depicted in a more positive way (and I'm not talking about the short, comical stories, because it's normal to have more humour there). Then, I became curious to understand the reason of this difference, and it's quite surprising-even if it's somewhat obvious-that even a world-class author often has to follow the common opinion. In fact, the opinion of Donald as a dope is quite common in Europe, too, and it's been very popular also in Italy, especially between the 50's and the 70's. This having said, I'm glad to know your true opinion on the matter.

Ranma11
                      Bassotto
                      PolliceSu

• Novellino
                        • Mostra profilo
                      PolliceSu
                        Risposta #4420: Sabato 12 Apr 2014, 19:31:03
                        Dear Don Rosa,how are you?My little cousin Biagio have a question for you:he making a his comic of Uncle Scrooge,he planned the idea that Scrooge build a bridge in Duckburg but he not have idea how build it.Type of bridge,material,how long,cost (I thinks that Scrooge want the lower :-) ).
                        Have you some idea?
                        Thank for your answer!!He's amazed of your cleverness of made comics and often ask me of send message.Bye!
                        « Ultima modifica: Sabato 12 Apr 2014, 19:32:21 da Ranma11 »

Don Rosa
                        Gran Mogol
                        PolliceSu

• Novellino
                          • Mostra profilo
                        PolliceSu
                          Risposta #4421: Giovedì 17 Apr 2014, 16:10:22
                          Ranma11:
                          >>>>>My little cousin Biagio have a question for you: he making a his comic of Uncle Scrooge, he planned the idea that Scrooge build a bridge in Duckburg but he not have idea how build it. Type of bridge, material, how long, cost (I thinks that Scrooge want the lower).
                          Have you some idea?

?????????
                          Uh... no. Sorry.
                          I think that these are exactly the sorts of story elements that an author needs to use his own imagination or research to create. That's the whole job.

Dippy Dawg
                          Dittatore di Saturno
                          PolliceSu   (2)

• Mostra profilo
                          PolliceSu   (2)
                            Risposta #4422: Venerdì 18 Apr 2014, 09:12:29
                            Don, I have to ask you a favour...

Next time you'll meet (or speak to) Tuomas Holopainen, please bring him my sincere compliments for his album! It's a very great album, and I really liked it! :)

(Obviously, part of these compliments are for you! ;) )

Don, devo chiederti un favore...

La prossima volta che incontrerai (o parlerai con) Tuomas Holopainen, ti prego di fargli i miei più sinceri complimenti per il suo album! E' un gran bell'album, e mi è piaciuto veramente! :)

(Ovviamente, parte di questi complimenti sono per te! ;) )

PS: posso capire Don Rosa e i vari ospiti stranieri, che scrivono solo in inglese; ma gli altri? Ci vuole così tanto a scrivere in due lingue? >:(
                            « Ultima modifica: Venerdì 18 Apr 2014, 09:12:52 da Dippy_Dawg »
                            Io son nomato Pippo e son poeta
                            Or per l'Inferno ce ne andremo a spasso
                            Verso un'oscura e dolorosa meta

Cornelius
                            Imperatore della Calidornia
                            PolliceSu

• Mais dire Mais
                              • Mostra profilo
                            PolliceSu
                              Risposta #4423: Venerdì 18 Apr 2014, 10:45:24

Don, have you been in Athens last 14-15 april?
                              I know there was the celebration of the 2.000th issue of the weekly MIKY MAOYE and I'd like to know your impressions about this meeting, also because you came back to Greece after 10 years.
                              Thank you.
                              ________________________________________________________________________________
                              Don, sei poi stato in Atene lo scorso 14-15 aprile?
                              So che si festeggiavano i 2.000 numeri del settimanale MIKY MAOYE e mi piacerebbe conoscere tue impressioni su questo incontro, anche perché tornavi in Grecia dopo 10 anni.
                              Grazie.
                              « Ultima modifica: Venerdì 18 Apr 2014, 10:47:37 da leo_63 »

Don Rosa
                              Gran Mogol
                              PolliceSu   (3)

• Novellino
                                • Mostra profilo
                              PolliceSu   (3)
                                Risposta #4424: Sabato 19 Apr 2014, 15:53:15
                                To Cornelius Coot:
                                There was a short report on my Greek visit on the Don Rosa FaceBook Page. You can go there and see it, along with about 150 photos and video! But here is some of the text from that site:

-----------------------------

As an update to the Greece line video, here's a message from Don himself confirming that the line WAS actually as long as in Finland... but thanks to the great organizing skills of the Greek fans, people did NOT have to wait all day till it was their turn. Sounds great! I especially like that live streaming idea! If anyone of you guys has more pics from the signing, please feel free to post them and we'll share them with the other fans.  -- Jano

"This WAS as big as a Finnish line! The people you see in the video haven chosen to stand around rather than taking a walk or sitting in a nearby cafeteria. This was the BEST ORGANIZED signing I have ever had!

There were over 500 fans who showed up. Each was given a numbered ticket so he did NOT need to stand in line. He could go sit in one of two nearby cafeterias or just check in on the progress on a cell-phone. The cafeterias had their monitor screens set to streaming info of what numbers were being served in the comics library where I was signing. This info could also be accessed with a cell-phone. When their number was getting close they could go to the second floor of the comics library where they could wait and be served free drinks & snacks. Then they would progress to the next floor up where I was at my table, and they could sit and watch me for a while and then come and tell me just what I could do for them.

I signed for about 9 hours -- 2 hours before the public signing and then 7 hours for the public, 1 hour over the scheduled limit. They had to turn away 250 people who already had numbers, but they will be mixed in with the first people who show up tomorrow for the Tuesday signing.

And the Greek fans themselves were every bit as passionate about the BarksDucks (and my humble work) as Finns. I would say I got just as nice comments here as last week... very gratifying. My ears were red all afternoon. I am thinking that the world's greatest Duckfans are the Finns and the GREEKS.

It's also VERY nice to see how many Greek Duckfans are ladies, and also cartoonists themselves, also like in Finland.

I wish ALL my signing sessions were run by Greek fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Dati personali, cookies e GDPR

Questo sito per poter funzionare correttamente utilizza dati classificati come "personali" insieme ai cosiddetti cookie tecnici.
                                In particolare per quanto riguarda i "dati personali", memorizziamo il tuo indirizzo IP per la gestione tecnica della navigazione sul forum, e - se sei iscritto al forum - il tuo indirizzo email per motivi di sicurezza oltre che tecnici, inoltre se vuoi puoi inserire la tua data di nascita allo scopo di apparire nella lista dei compleanni.
                                Il dettaglio sul trattamento dei dati personali è descritto nella nostra pagina delle politiche sulla privacy, dove potrai trovare il dettaglio di quanto riassunto in queste righe.

Per continuare con la navigazione sul sito è necessario accettare cliccando qui, altrimenti... amici come prima! :-)