Gran Mogol
PolliceSu   (3)

• Novellino
    • Mostra profilo
PolliceSu   (3)
    Re: Don Rosa
    Risposta #3600: Sabato 17 Set 2011, 15:21:29
    ML-IHJCM:
    >>>>>Is this correct? Did you put a reference to your Captain Kentucky comic? (Actually, if I remember rightly, I was puzzled by the mysterious reference to a bigger frog when I read your Kalevala story.)

Yeah, that was a reference I should never have included, even as an in-joke to myself, because it confused so many people. Maybe encountering such a line in aother author's story, a reader would not have paid much attention. But readers know that in my stories EVERY word and ink line is there for a reason, and they have been trying to figure this reference out for years.

It is NOT a reference to my J. Fred Frog monster in "Captain Kentucky"(though that is a wise guess). The speaker is supposed to be a burned-out hippie street-person who is asking a nonsense question. If he's seen a bigger frog, it could only be in his hallucinations. But more directly, it is a reference to the classic 1960's TV show GET SMART! Secert agent Maxwell Smart had many catch phrases, and one was when he would see something obviously amazing, and he would say "That's the second biggest _____ I've ever seen!" And all the other characters would look at him in shock and ask "What? Where have you -- ?" But then before the question can be asked, something would happen to interrupt the conversation, and we'd never find out what and where the biggest one (frog?) was that he'd seen. Notice that's what Donald starts to do in my story. So what Donald says to the old hippie is also part of the reference.

Only one time did I encounter a reader who caught the correct reference. I was doing an Internet web-meeting session in Finland and a fan wrote in and asked me if the joke was a reference to GET SMART! Maybe he knew I am an expert in TV history. I was amazed someone in Finland knew the show.

Don Rosa
    Gran Mogol
    PolliceSu   (2)

• Novellino
      • Mostra profilo
    PolliceSu   (2)
      Risposta #3601: Sabato 17 Set 2011, 15:44:59
      Francis Drake:
      >>>>>Wow! this surprised me a lot!!! Can I ask you how have you thought to manage the topic? And could have been related to the appearance of Santa in Barks' "Letter to Santa"?

I'm afraid that Finnish fan is reporting things that never happened. I have no idea where his faulty information comes from.
      The fact is that after the Kalevala, the Finnish publisher wanted me to create a story where Donald Duck meets Santa Claus who lives (according to Finns) in a certain region of Finland. I could not allow myself to create a story where Santa Claus is an actual living being. No more than I would create a story where Donald Duck meets the Easter Bunny. Barks liked the use of fictional characters even less than I do. For example, I like to use ghosts even though I do not believe in them... but at least they are in the realm of the preternatural... "unexplained phenomenon". Frankly, even the use of the land of Kalevala bothered me... especially where Donald and Scrooge go into the land of the dead... the afterlife. But I knew the Finns would really like that story, so I tried to handle it in a way I could accept it.

You know that all of Barks' uses of, for example, witches were ordered by his editors, or in stories he drew written by someone else. Barks seemed to have a strong aversion to stories about the occult -- I don't know if it involved his religion or what. As I try to bring out in my own stories, Barks' Magica DeSpell is NOT a witch -- she is a normal human, but a sorceress... someone who utilizes the sorts of pseudo-scientific charms and potions found in stories of ancient alchemy. It was European writers who later turned Magica into a witch. (I've been told that there is no word in European languages for sorceror/sorceress, so there can be no distinction between a witch and a sorceress.)

As for other types of supernatural beings, you'll notice that Barks was willing to do stories of mythological beings but only if he could treat them as science-fiction. Strange square people in a lost valley, or pygmy Indians in the North Woods, or rock people underground. When he did stories about the Norse gods or Greek mythological beings, they were treated as "simply" strange looking flesh-and-blood people living in lost realms. Never as being magical.

Anyway, there is some truth in the Finn's report. Egmont never told me not to do the story because I never intended to do the story. But there would have been a problem, and maybe I suggested it to someone once. I work for a multinational company, not Finland. And I'd want my stories to be usable by ALL other countries worldwide (even if I don't get royalties!). Readers in other countries would enjoy a story involving mythological characters in a Finnish national epic. But it's only Finns who think Santa Claus lives in Finland. The story would not make sense anywhere else.

So, I can do stories involving the preternatural idea of ghosts, and I was willing to use legendary mystical Finnish characters -- Barks would never do either of these things. But if Donald Duck is ever going to meet Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy, sorry, I'll leave that to some other writer/artist.
      « Ultima modifica: Domenica 18 Set 2011, 00:51:01 da Don_Rosa »

ML-IHJCM
      Diabolico Vendicatore
      PolliceSu

• Nuovo utente
        • Mostra profilo
      PolliceSu
        Risposta #3602: Sabato 17 Set 2011, 17:06:22
        Dear Don,
          thanks for your kind explanations. It is always a pleasure to learn more on these little facts about your stories.
          A little thing: when you write
        Citazione
        But it's only Finns who think Santa Claus lives in Finland.
        I think you are not completely right. For the little I know, it is an idea rather widespread in Europe. And I am sure it has been used in a number of Italian stories (this one should be an example), even if in many other ones Santa just lives in other places close to the North Pole.

Caro Don,
         grazie per le gentili spiegazioni: e' sempre un piacere saperne di piu' su questi dettagli dietro alle tue storie.
          Una cosuccia: quando scrivi
        Citazione
        Ma soltanto i Finlandesi pensano che Babbo Natale viva in Finlandia.
        credo che tu sbagli almeno in parte. Per il poco che ne so, e' un'idea abbastanza diffusa in Europa. E sono sicuro che e' stata usata in varie storie italiane (questa dovrebbe essere un esempio [nota: non posso controllare]), anche se in molte altre la sede di Babbo Natale e' in altri posti vicino al Polo Nord.

Quackmore
        Cugino di Alf
        PolliceSu

• aka Michele
          • Mostra profilo
        PolliceSu
          Risposta #3603: Sabato 17 Set 2011, 17:15:38
          ML-IHJCM is right: nowadays, Rovaniemi (the Finnish village of Santa Claus) is quite famous, even if as a touristic place.
          However, a good thing you avoided using the character!

ML-IHJCM ha ragione: oggi come oggi, Rovaniemi (il villaggio finlandese di Babbo Natale) è abbastanza famoso, anche se come località turistica.
          Comunque, meglio che tu abbia evitato di usare il personaggio!
          Michele

Petra Kotro
          Bassotto
          PolliceSu   (4)

• Novellino
            • Mostra profilo
          PolliceSu   (4)
            Risposta #3604: Sabato 17 Set 2011, 18:51:33
            Hi everyone! Nice to see people discussing my thesis. I'm sorry if I have misinterpreted some of the information concerning Don's interest in Santa. I found this piece of info on an introduction to a story Don had written for one of the Finnish publications of his works. But, unfortunately all of these introductions were of course translated to Finnish from Don's original English writings, so it is always possible that something get "lost in translation", although Finnish translaters of Donald Duck comics are usually very good at what they do. It could also be a case of me understanding incorrectly what Don had meant. I can look up the text if you're interested.

It's also nice to see the REAL reference behind the frog quote in the Quest for Kalevala! I would not have guessed what it was really about, it was my interpretation that the character was really referring to the Captain Kentucky story.

I know that there are propably a million things in my text that Don will find incorrect and think to himself "That's not at all what I meant" or "That's is definitely not how it went", and I'm certain that if I had been able to interview Don for the thesis it would have made it so much more interesting and better quality research as well... Unfortunately I felt at the time I was doing my research too pressed for time and decided to settle for whatever information I could find from Don's previous writings and interviews done by other people. But of course it sometimes results in incorrect information and interpretations. I still hope you can find something good from the text as well  :)

Don Rosa
            Gran Mogol
            PolliceSu   (1)

• Novellino
              • Mostra profilo
            PolliceSu   (1)
              Risposta #3605: Domenica 18 Set 2011, 00:48:09
              Petra Kotro:
              >>>>>I found this piece of info on an introduction to a story Don had written for one of the Finnish publications of his works. But, unfortunately all of these introductions were of course translated to Finnish from Don's original English writings, so it is always possible that something get "lost in translation"

I wrote that text a decade or so ago, so I can't recall exactly what I wrote. The Finnish publishers had announced to their readers that I was planning to write a Santa-Claus-in-Finland story because they had asked me to do so, and, to be polite, I did not flat-out refuse. But there came a time when I had to explain WHY I was not coming up with this story expected by Finnish Duckfans. So I may have told a white lie and blamed Egmont for not allowing it without knowing if they would or not (and maybe they wouldn't have for the reasons I mentioned). I guess I didn't want to write something as rude as "Even if I intended to write a Santa Claus story, I would never have him living in Finland because I am an American and we know he lives at the North Pole." I did not want to alienate the Finns because that would not have fit into my master plan, started with my creating the "Quest for Kalevala" story, of becoming so popular that I would eventually be elected president of Finland.

Francis Drake
              Sceriffo di Valmitraglia
              PolliceSu

• Barks-Donrosiano e Pikappico
                • Mostra profilo
              PolliceSu
                Risposta #3606: Domenica 18 Set 2011, 01:39:03
                I'm afraid that Finnish fan is reporting things that never happened. 

[...]

But if Donald Duck is ever going to meet Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy, sorry, I'll leave that to some other writer/artist.

Yes, I absolutely knew about Barks' avversion towards supernatural. And obviously that Magica is a human that uses tricks, not a witch, and so on.
                Due to the usual style of Barks,  that depict a "realistic" world, populated by humans that only look like animals, and present critics and satire towards the society, the modern age, and also the rivalry between USA and USSR/brutopia, well... I have to admit that I've always found the presence of Santa Claus in "Letter to Santa" definitely weird.

When I've read you seemed to want to use Santa I've just.... *hoped*... you've had some idea to make the weird appearance in "letter to santa" to fit in the ducks universe.

Hi everyone! Nice to see people discussing my thesis. 

[...]

But of course it sometimes results in incorrect information and interpretations. I still hope you can find something good from the text as well  :)

Hi, nice to see you here! First of all, congratulations for your work, an analysis that I'm founding an absolutely interesting reading!

I've read more than half of the thesis and I'm collecting some impressions and questions that I'll mail to you once finished the reading. Or, due to your presence here, it will be possible to post them in this topic.

Temo che la fan finlandese riporti dei fatti mai accaduti. 

[...]

Ma se Paperino dovesse mai incontrare Babbo Natale, il coniglio di Pasqua o la fatina dei denti, lo lascerei ad altri sceneggiatori/disegnatori.

Si, sapevo certamente dell'avversione di Barks per il soprannaturale. E ovviamente che amelia è un umana che usa trucchi, e non una strega, e così via.
                Considerato il solito stile di Barks, che descrive un mondo "realistico", popolato da umani che sembrano solo animali, e che presenta critiche e satira verso la società, i tempi moderni e addirittura la rivalità tra USA e URSS/Brutopia, beh… devo ammettere che ho sempre trovato la presenza di Babbo Natale in "Paperino e la scavatrice" decisamente fuori luogo.

Quando ho letto che sembrava volessi usare Babbo Natale ho semplicemente… *sperato* …che avessi avuto qualche idea per meglio integrare la sua strana presenza nell'universo dei Paperi.

Ciao a tutti! è bello vedere persone discutere la mia tesi. 

[...]

Spero comunque che possiate trovare qualcosa di buono nel testo  :)

Ciao, mi fa piacere vederti qui! Prima di tutto, complimenti per il tuo lavoro, un'analisi che si sta rivelando una lettura assolutamente interessante!

Ho letto più di metà della tesi e mi sto appuntando alcune impressioni e domande che ti avrei mandato per mail una volta finita la lettura. O, siccome posti qui, sarà possibile scrivertele su questo topic.
                « Ultima modifica: Domenica 18 Set 2011, 19:54:03 da Francis_Drake »

Brigitta MacBridge
                Flagello dei mari
                Moderatore
                PolliceSu

• Paperonuuuuccciooooo....
                  • Mostra profilo
                PolliceSu
                  Risposta #3607: Domenica 18 Set 2011, 10:20:55
                  ML-IHJCM:
                  >>>>>E' corretto? Hai messo un riferimento ai tuoi fumetti di Capitan Kentucky? (Se ricordo bene, ero rimasto perplesso da questo misterioso riferimento ad una rana piu' grossa quando avevo letto la tua storia sul Kalevala.)

Si', quello e' un riferimento che non avrei mai dovuto usare, sia pure come scherzo rivolto a me stesso, perche' ha confuso un sacco di persone. Forse, trovando una battuta del genere nella storia di un altro autore, un lettore non ci avrebbe fatto tanto caso. Ma i lettori sanno che nelle mie storie OGNI parola ed ogni linea di inchiostro e' li' per un motivo, ed hanno cercato di spiegare questa citazione per anni.

NON e' una citazione al mostro J. Fred Frog di "Captain Kentucky" (anche se si tratta di una bella supposizione). La persona che parla dovbrebbe essere un uomo di strada hippie un po' suonato che fa una domanda senza senzo. Se mai ha visto una rana piu' grossa, sara' nelle sue allucinazioni. Ma piu' direttamente e' una citazione al classico show tv degli anni '60 GET SMART! L'agente segreto Maxwell Smart aveva molte frasi ricorrenti, ed una era che quando vedeva qualcosa di ovviamente stupefacente, lui diceva "Quello e' il secondo _____ piu' grosso che abbia mai visto!" E tutti gli altri personaggi lo guardavano stupefatti e chiedevano "Cosa? Dov'e' che tu -- ?" Ma poi prima che la domanda potesse essere posta, accadeva qualcosa che interrompeva la conversazione, e non si scopriva mai dove e cosa era il piu' grosso (rospo?) che avesse mai visto. Notate che e' proprio quello che nella mia storia Paperino sta iniziando a dire. Percio' anche quello che Paperino dice al vecchio hippie fa parte della citazione.

Solo una volta ho incontrato un lettore che riconobbe la giusta citazione. Stavo faceno una sessione di web-meeting via Internet in Finlandia e un fan si inseri' e mi chiese se la battuta fosse una citazione da GET SMART! Forse sapeva che io sono un esperto di storia della tv. Fui stupito che qualcuno conoscesse quella serie in Finlandia.
                  I miei teSSSSori: http://tinyurl.com/a3ybupd

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" -- Gandhi

Brigitta MacBridge
                  Flagello dei mari
                  Moderatore
                  PolliceSu

• Mostra profilo
                  PolliceSu
                    Risposta #3608: Domenica 18 Set 2011, 10:46:30
                    Francis Drake:
                    >>>>>Wow! questo mi ha sorpreso!!! Posso chiederti come pensavi di trattare l'argomento?
                    E l'avresti legato all'apparizione di Babbo Natale in "Paperino e la scavatrice" di Barks?

Temo che quel fan finlandese stia riferendo cose mai accadute. Non ho idea da dove vengano queste informazioni errate.
                    Il fatto e' che dopo il Kalevala, l'editore finlandese voleva che facessi una storia ni cui Paperino incontra Babbo Natale, che, secondo i finlandesi, vive in una certa regione della Finlandia. Non potevo concdermi di fare una storia in cui Babbo Natale e' un essere vivente reale. Non piu' di quanto avrei potuto fare una storia in cui Paperino incontra il Coniglio Pasquale. A Barks l'uso di personaggi immaginari piaceva anche meno che a me. Per esempio, a me piace usare i fantasmi anche se non credo nella loro esistenza... ma almeno essi rientrano nel reame del sovrannaturale... "fenomeni inesplicabili". Francamente, anche l'uso della terra di Kalevala mi disturbava... specialmente quando Paperino e Paperone vanno nella terra dei morti... l'aldila'. Ma sapevo che ai finlandesi sarebbe piaciuta davvero quella storia, e cosi' ho cercato di gestirla in un modo che io potessi accettare.

Voi sapete che tutti gli usi che Barks fece, ad esempio, delle streghe furono richiesti dai suoi editori, oppure erano in storie che lui disegno' ma che erano state scritte da qualcun altro. Barks sembrava essere molto contrario alle storie sull'occulto -- non so se questo avesse a che fare con la sua religione o meno. Come cerco di evidenziare nelle mie storie, l'Amelia di Barks NON e' una strega -- e' una umana normale, ma una "sorceress"... una che usa gli incantesimi e pozioni pseudo-scientifici trovati in storie di antichi alchimisti. Sono stati gli scrittori europei, in seguito, a trasformare Amelia in una strega (mi dicono che non ci sarebbe nelle lingue europee una parola equivalente a sorceror/sorceress, per cui non c'e' distinzione fra una strega ed una "sorceress".)

Per quanto riguarda altri tipi di esseri sovrannaturali, noterete che Barks era disposto a fare storie su esseri mitologici solo se poteva trattarli come fantascienza. Strana gente quadrata in una valle perduta, o indiani pigmei nei boschi del Nord, o persone rocciose che vivono sottoterra. Quando fece storie sugli dei del nord o sugli esseri della mitologia greca, venivano trattati come gente di carne e ossa "semplicemente" di strano aspetto che viveva in reami perduti. Mai come esseri magici.

Comunque c'e' qualcosa di vero in quanto riportato dal finlandese. La Egmont non mi ha mai detto di non fare la storia perche' non ho mai avuto intenzione di farla. Ma ci sarebbe stato un problema, e forse qualche volta ne ho parlato a qualcuno. Lavoro per una compagnia internazionale, non per la Finlandia. E avrei voluto che le mie storie potessero essere utilizzate in TUTTI gli altri paesi del modno (anche se non ne ottengo i diritti di pubblicazione!). I lettori degli altri paesi potevano anche apprezzare una storia che coinvolgesse personaggi mitologici da un'opera epica nazionale finlandese. Ma solo i finlandesi pensano che Babbo Natale viva in Finlandia. La storia, in qualsasi altro posto, non avrebbe avuto senso.

Quindi, io posso anche fare storie che usano l'idea sovrannaturale dei fantasmi, ed ero disponibile ad usare personaggi mistici e leggendari finlandesi -- Barks non avrebbe mai fatto ne' l'una ne' l'altra cosa. Ma se Paperino mai dovra' incontrare Babbo Natale o il Coniglio Pasquale o la Fatina dei Denti, spiacente, lascero' che ad occuparsene sia qualche altro scrittore/disegnatore.

Brigitta MacBridge
                    Flagello dei mari
                    Moderatore
                    PolliceSu

• Mostra profilo
                    PolliceSu
                      Risposta #3609: Domenica 18 Set 2011, 11:00:41
                      Traduco anche il messaggio di Petra, dato che ovviamente non ci possiamo aspettare che conosca l'italiano. Fra l'altro, ne approfitto per darle la benvenuta qui, e sarei molto curiosa di sapere come sia venuta a conoscenza del fatto che qui si stava parlando della sua tesi...

I'll translate Petra's message as well, since we cannot obviously expect her to know Italian. By the way, I'll catch the opportunity to welcome her, and I'm really curious to know how she knew that we were discussing her thesis here.

Ciao a tutti! E' bello vedere della gente che discute della mia tesi. Mi spiace se ho mal interpretato alcune delle informazioni sull'interesse di Don riguardo a Babbo Natale. Ho trovato questa informazione in una introduzione ad una storia scritta da Don per una delle pubblicazioni finlandesi della sua opera. Ma, sfortunatamente, tutte queste introduzioni ovviamente sono state tradotte in finlandese dalgli scritti originali inglesi di Don, quindi e' certo possibile che qualcosa si sia "perso nella traduzione", anche se i traduttori finlandesi di solito sono molto bravi. Potrebbe anche essere che io abbia capito male quello che Don intendeva dire. Posso controllare il testo se vi interessa.

E' anche bello vedere la VERA citazione detro alla battuta della rana nella Ricerca del Kalevala! Non avrei mai potuto indovinare a che cosa si riferiva, e' stata una mia interpretazione che il personaggio si riferisse alla storia di Captain Kentucky.

So che nel mio testo ci sono probabilmente un milione di cose che Don trovera' sbagliate e pensera' "Non era affatto questo quello che intendevo dire" o "non e' assolutamente andata cosi'", e sono certa che se fossi stata in grado di intervistare Don per la tesi questa sarebbe stata molto piu' interessante ed anche una ricerca di miglior qualita'... sfortunatamente in quel momento mi sentivo troppo pressata dalla mancanza di tempo ed ho deciso di accontentarmi di qualsasi informazione riuscivo a trovare dai precedenti scritti ed interviste di Don fatte da altre persone. Ma ovviamente questo a volte porta ad informazioni ed interpretazioni errate. Spero ugualmente che troverete anche qualcosa di buono nel testo. :)

Brigitta MacBridge
                      Flagello dei mari
                      Moderatore
                      PolliceSu

• Mostra profilo
                      PolliceSu
                        Risposta #3610: Domenica 18 Set 2011, 12:03:39
                        Petra Kotro:
                        >>>>>Ho trovato questa informazione in una introduzione ad una storia scritta da Don per una delle pubblicazioni finlandesi della sua opera. Ma, sfortunatamente, tutte queste introduzioni ovviamente sono state tradotte in finlandese dagli scritti originali inglesi di Don, quindi e' certo possibile che qualcosa si sia "perso nella traduzione"

Ho scritto quel testo una decina di anni fa circa, quindi non ricordo esattamente cosa ho scritto. Gli editori finlandesi avevano annunciato ai loro lettori che io avevo in progetto di scrivere una storia su Babbo Natale in Finlandia perche' mi avevano chiesto di farlo, ed io, per essere educato, non avevo rifiutato categoricamente. Ma arrivo' un momento in dovetti spiegare PERCHE' non avrei fatto quella storia che i fan finlandesi si aspettavano. Cosi' potrei aver raccontato una mezza bugia ed aver incolpato la Egmont per non avermi permesso di farla, senza sapere se me lo avrebbero permesso o meno (e forse non lo avrebbero fatto, per le ragioni che ho detto). Io penso di non aver voluto scrivere qualcosa di tanto sgarbato come "Anche se volessi scrivere una storia su Babbo Natale, non lo farei mai vivere in Finlandia perche' io sono americano e noi sappiamo che abita al Polo Nord." Non volevo far arrabbiare i finlandesi perche' non si coinciliava con il mio piano geniale, che iniziava con me che creavo la storia della "Ricerca del Kalevala", e diventavo tanto popolare da essere alla fine eletto presidente della Finlandia.

Andrea87
                        Uomo Nuvola
                        PolliceSu

• Il terrore di Malachia!
                          • Mostra profilo
                        PolliceSu
                          Risposta #3611: Domenica 18 Set 2011, 12:11:07
                          Citazione
                          Voi sapete che tutti gli usi che Barks fece, ad esempio, delle streghe furono richiesti dai suoi editori, oppure erano in storie che lui disegno' ma che erano state scritte da qualcun altro. Barks sembrava essere molto contrario alle storie sull'occulto -- non so se questo avesse a che fare con la sua religione o meno. Come cerco di evidenziare nelle mie storie, l'Amelia di Barks NON e' una strega -- e' una umana normale, ma una "sorceress"... una che usa gli incantesimi e pozioni pseudo-scientifici trovati in storie di antichi alchimisti. Sono stati gli scrittori europei, in seguito, a trasformare Amelia in una strega (mi dicono che non ci sarebbe nelle lingue europee una parola equivalente a sorceror/sorceress, per cui non c'e' distinzione fra una strega ed una "sorceress".)

direi che l'italiano "fattucchiera" è azzeccatissimo!
                          Nel tempo dell'inganno universale dire la verità è un atto rivoluzionario (G. Orwell)

Brigitta MacBridge
                          Flagello dei mari
                          Moderatore
                          PolliceSu   (1)

• Mostra profilo
                          PolliceSu   (1)
                            Risposta #3612: Domenica 18 Set 2011, 12:20:29
                            direi che l'italiano "fattucchiera" è azzeccatissimo!

Non ho mai capito troppo la differenza fra "strega", "incantatrice", "maga" e "fattucchiera"; in anni di letture fantasy sono giunta alla conclusione che la differenza, se differenza c'e', sembra variare secondo sfumature abbastanza arbtitrarie a seconda di chi scrive.
                            Di solito "sorcerer" viene tradotto con "mago" oppure "stregone". Quindi "sorceress" potrebbe essere "maga". In ogni caso Don ha ben evidenzialo la differenza che secondo lui sussiste fra "witch" e "sorceress".

Petra Kotro
                            Bassotto
                            PolliceSu

• Novellino
                              • Mostra profilo
                            PolliceSu
                              Risposta #3613: Domenica 18 Set 2011, 14:54:40
                              I'm really curious to know how she knew that we were discussing her thesis here.

Through the miracle of Google of course: I'll admit that I was googling my own name to see if the university's publication page for my thesis would show on Google, and ended up here..!  ;)

TlatoSMD
                              Brutopiano
                              PolliceSu   (1)

• Novellino
                                • Mostra profilo
                              PolliceSu   (1)
                                Risposta #3614: Domenica 18 Set 2011, 17:30:12
                                Hi Don!

I've been your fan ever since you were still working on new regular chapters of Lo$ back in the 90s! :) To be precise, I think it was during the half-year break between the publication of The King of the Klondike (October 1994) and The Billionaire of Dismal Downs (February 1995) in German Micky Maus Magazin that I got aware of you. Currently, I'd say that at least a quarter of the current English-language Wikipedia article on you came from my keyboard (not to mention starting or expanding a number of articles on particular stories you did, plus uploading downsized covers and a few panel sequences to illustrate all the articles), and in case you haven't spotted it, my user name that I'm also using on this forum is made up of the initials of your magnum opus (whereas "Tlato" kinda works like a first name, and "SMD" like a last name).

So far, the only time I've had the chance of meeting you in person was around '95 or '96 in Hamburg, when you were signing German editions of your comics at a big comics and animation trade fair at the Hamburger Kunsthalle art museum. In any case, it was the time when you still had your beard. You being there had been my only reason to go there, but when we first arrived, the line was so long that my father and I decided to stroll along the rest of the fair for a few hours first.

When it was my time in line at the end of the day, you were already reaching for the next copy to sign, but my father immediately said in English "The number one, please!" because I'd told him that was the issue I was still missing. That very day when we arrived home, I sealed the copy with your signature on the cover in airtight wrapping to preserve it for the ages, and to this very day I still have it like this!

I've been enjoying this thread for a few weeks now, and I've read all of about the last 150 pages of it. When I first got aware that you were posting on a regular internet forum where we can all talk to you and ask you stuff, I was all like "OMG, OMG!" I've been so excited that it even felt like this scene out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ42IMu7HIQ

My first pack of questions for you is Python-related, even. Also being a huge Python (and especially Terry Gilliam) fan as I am, I've spotted those two Python references you've put into A little something special (where one Beagle Boy tells another to not mess with Magica, "She'll turn you into a newt!", one reference that the German translator definitely couldn't do justice to in a Disney publication even if they would've spotted it, as in the German dub of that Python line, the peasant says, "She's turned my dingaling into a bong!") and in The Three Cabelleros Ride Again (where Donald says, "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!", during that train ride that for some reason has always reminded me of that just-as thrilling, also nearly-falling-off-a-dead-track-into-a-canyon-with-special-fuel-enhancing-ingredient equivalent during the climax of Back to the future, part 3).

Anyway, are those all the Python references you've put into your Duck stories, Don? Or did I miss any? Also, how do you justify the Python references with all your stories set in the 50s when it's still at least 15 years up until Monty Python's Flying Circus will pop up on British TV? Or doesn't it have to make much sense, and the awesomeness of the greatest comedy troup in history justifies references to them in any piece of art? As it's Donald quoting the Pythons kinda anachronistically in the second reference, do you think he would enjoy the Flying Circus with him being as much of a TV junkie as he is, or wouldn't it be his kind of humor?

Also, the Python references have surprised me a bit. Based upon all that I know about your tastes from interviews, editorials, and this thread, you seem to be more of a fan of the times of "classic Hollywood" films and TV series circa 1930s-1950s where men were still tough and all that, which being as, uh, elegant and majestic as it was, was certainly a different generation than the whacky, unconventional, and irreverent countercultural types of the Woodstock Generation that was also epitomized in the Pythons and their humor.

I also remember that you said in the The Life and Times of Don Rosa documentary that this Woodstock Generation didn't have much of an impact on you, even though it was happening at the time you were in college. On the other hand, many people have noted your drawing style's curious, apparent affinity towards the underground comics of the period, and you yourself even did one parody of the Ducks in that wicked very vein around 1970 with your story Back to Duckburg place (I'm really looking forward to its upcoming publication by Egmont, even though 500 Euros for a single story is pretty steep even for such a huge fan as I am). Now, most people cite Robert Crumb when it comes to the likeness of your style, but to me, it's always seemed much closer to Gilbert Shelton (who is renowned especially for his two series Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers and Wonder Wart-Hog), in fact (or maybe, I repeat *MAYBE*, Bill Griffith with his Zippy the Pinhead). I'm pretty certain if I had the time and energy, I could copy-paste single characters drawn by Shelton (with his two inkers/collaborators Dave Sheridan and Paul Mavrides), put them next to your Ducks (and partly Beagle Boys, too), and see some obvious likenesses in poses, grimaces, and style of drawing ankles and facial wrinkles.

So, regarding your "wicked" "underground" style, your one very-underground-in-themes parody way back in college, and in spite of your often saying that Crumb and the Woodstock Generation never had much of an influence on you, I've been wondering if maybe people just kept asking the wrong question and maybe it was Shelton rather than Crumb who at least had some influence on your way of drawing the Ducks?

Anyway, there's two beloved features of your style that do remind me of Crumb like so many others, and that's particularly your style of putting so many wrinkles on clothes (which Robert's brother Charles did even more excessively than Bob himself, and thus probably closer to you in that respect), and your hatched shadows. It's especially your brilliant use and style of shadows that keep make me suggest your style's proximity to high art, especially to copper and steel engravings of the Early Modern Period up until the 19th century by artists such as William Hogarth, Gustave Doré, Honoré Daumier, and Albrecht Dürer. Although generally following the style, the only two times Crumb actually did reach this level of artistic brilliance and refinement as yours in his shadows were in his biography Introducing Kafka (also published as Kafka for beginners, R. Crumb's Kafka, or simply Kafka), and in his illustration/comic adaptation of a certain 1886 psychiatry book by Austria-Hungarian physician Richard von Krafft-Ebing, the title of which I better not dare mention here, where Crumb in spite of the controversial content matter employed a style like directly lifted from vintage 19th century engravings or etchings.

So, your shadows have kept me wondering what influence artists such as Hogarth, Dürer, or Doré might have had on your style?

And while we're still more or less on the topic of underground comics, has Howard the Duck had any influence upon your drawing style? Of course, I'm talking about the comic, not that awful, awful movie. I'm also a huge fan of the comic, especially the b/w Howard the Duck magazine which had art by Gene Colan, for instance.

Now, while we're deep into matters regarding your style, let's get to the one question I've had ever since I've gotten aware of you and you've become my favorite Duck artist of all time. You've said you never noticed much change in your style over the years. However, as much of a visual person as I am (which is also why among directors, and since we've mentioned Python already above, Terry Gilliam is my absolute favorite with his epic, bizarre ultra-wide angle lenses), I've always been marvelling at the one fundamental change in your style. As brilliant gems there are in storylines in your earlier works, it's those of your stories after that significant change in style that I keep reading and re-reading at least once a week or month ever since I've gotten aware of you back around the mid-90s and to this day.

Even though your style kept slowly evolving ever from your Duck debut with Son of the Sun, it seemed to remain of the same "breed" or "school" up until Super Snooper Strikes Again. Then came your first chapter of Lo$, The Last of the Clan McDuck, and your stories have never been the same again! Although you've kept saying throughout the years that you're just an amateur and a fan like so many of us, it's ever since the fundamental beginning of Lo$ that I definitely regard your style as fully professional, and my favorite Duck style of all time. (Granted, it's changed again later-on due to your eye trouble, which I think begins to show in your stories around 1997-'99, which pains me at times when I see how your brilliance in panel and page composition even still kept growing but your eye trouble kept you from executing your designs to their full potential in the exact proportions and details, to a degree that your Ducks seemed to look more and more, um, pointy or angular?)

My question is, how did this sudden change, this fundamental quantum leap in your style come about so abruptly between two stories? Did you purposefully clean it up beforehand, practicing and practicing again, before you went to start on The Last of the Clan McDuck, so you could do justice to Unca Carl's legacy as one of 20th century's greatest creators and storytellers also in the visual department? I think this change is so undeniable, and yet you've said that you never noticed much change in your style; and yet I've never come across anybody else beside me mentioning this sudden change between Super Snooper Strikes Again and The Last of the Clan McDuck even among other Rosa fans.

More on visual qualities. I also deeply care about coloring, which of course I realize hasn't been your job with your published stories. I know you've had your trouble with incorrect colors by publishers such as making your 1950s b/w TV sets all colorful, but that's not what I mean. As I understand you seem to also be collecting prints of your own stories from all over the world, how do you feel about their coloring?

What I'm talking about here is specifically the marvellous color sense the people at Gladstone used to have, with their breathtaking full rainbow of soft gradient colors and all that, especially in their second generation after regaining their full license (as in, not only Barks reprints) from Disney Comics in 1993 (I also think their lettering is the one that looked just spot-on). It's also the main reason why over the years I've switched to reading your stories exclusively in their English original, after all those brilliant Gladstone colors really make them come to life. Disney Comics, from 1990 to 1993 and in spite of their rather, uh, "special" re-designing of series logos on the covers, looked kinda promising in coloring at the start (such as in their editions of The Duck who fell to earth, The island at the edge of time, and On stolen time), but with the infamous Disney Implosion in 1991 it seems to me their coloring degraded over time. Gemstone, while mostly sticking with gradients, often looked much colder in color temperature, not as warm and comfy as Gladstone, whenever they weren't smart enough to keep Gladstone's original colors in re-prints.

I feel this difference in color quality even between Gladstone and Gemstone is most obvious in Guardians of the Lost Library, first published by Gladstone and later re-published by Gemstone. For me, like for many of your fans, Guardians of the Lost Library is one of my absolute favorites of all of your stories (with its essential, distinguishing qualities, I think, returning in the best sense in The Crown of the Crusader Kings, The Treasury of Croesus, The Lost Charts of Columbus, and even The Once and Future Duck). Gladstone's original publication would have been perfect, if it wouldn't be for the unfortunate mistake that occured with the story's CMYK printing plates that resulted in more than obvious color fringing throughout the whole story. Gemstone, however, didn't correct this mistake with their re-publication, and resorted to using Egmont's rather bland solid color scheme instead. So if it'd be up to me, the perfect edition to this story still remains to be seen.

I wish we here in Europe would have local-language equivalents of your stories to the soft-cover Carl Barks Library in Color. The CBLC that I mean (consisting of The Carl Barks Library of Donald Duck Adventures in Color, The Carl Barks Library of Gyro Gearloose Comics and Fillers in Color, The Carl Barks Library of Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge One Pagers in Color, The Carl Barks Library of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories in Color, and one volume of The Carl Barks Library of 1940's Donald Duck Christmas Giveaways in Color) was published circa 1992-1996 by Gladstone in the US, and with Gladstone's very own coloring even over here in Europe by local publishers!

It's why the CBLC is still my favorite edition of Unca Carl's stories (although, admittedly, I hardly ever read them as much as your stories, or ones by Italian Duck artists Cavazzano and Carpi). Not even the European Hall of Fame edition of your stories matched Gladstone's brilliance in color in their English edition. And not only that, other than Egmont's upcoming Don Rosa Collection, it was even affordable for the average Duck fan at an original cover price of circa 8.50 Euros (or circa $10) per volume, so even if you couldn't afford the whole set at once, you could gradually build up your collection.

The closest equivalent of your stories we have so far to the CBLC, at least here in Germany, is Egmont's Onkel Dagobert von Don Rosa which at a comparable price, page size, page number per volume, and printing quality only contained Egmont's bland solid colors (my main gripe with the edition), switched between several not-really-fitting speechbubble fonts several times throughout the series, and even was entirely out-of-sequence except for the regular chapters of Lo$ that it started out with, but even in-between those chapters it included others of your stories from all over your career in the same volumes that thus were all out-of-sequence even while they were still running Lo$. That last factor is especially obvious for somebody as visual as me who can tell your drawing style periods right away.

I remember you said in The Life and Times of Don Rosa that you've met your wife at a Star Wars convention, and that she seems just as nerdy as you about some things. If that's not too private a question, how does she feel about your Barks and Ducks fandom that even led you to become one of the most celebrated Duck artists? I think I remember a few photos where she didn't seem too happy about fans invading your house and leaving their footprints everywhere.

You've recently said that you dislike drawing so much that by the time you got to finish a story, you absolutely hated it for all the hard drudgery and labor it's been on you, giving particular examples every time you mentioned this fact. Are there any stories that you hated less towards the event of finishing them? Also, so many of your stories exhibit so much love and passion for the characters and attention to detail and thrilling action that it comes as a surprise to think of your words whenever reading your narratives.

It's also hard to believe whenever those very special moments in your stories raise goosebumps after goosebumps. I'm particularly thinking of the death of Fergus McDuck, Scrooge's immerging in his beloved memories, his painfully cut-short romance with Goldie (which ended so tragically even in spite of their "playing rummy" for a month in Scrooge's cabin at White Agony Creek), your way of treating Donald in The Duck Who Never Was in spite of people always saying you value him so little compared to Scrooge, or your heartwarming hommages to themes such as everlasting friendship, parenthood (or unclehood? :P), and family sense in stories such as those two relating to Joe Carioca (I think you've really made him the most lovable character next to Scrooge, Donald, and the nephews) and Panchito Pistoles, W.H.A.D.A.L.O.T.T.A.J.A.R.G.O.N., Gyro's First Invention, and especially A Letter From Home.

Now, being a die-hard fan of your work also time and again gives you run-ins with the absolute Rosa haters who somehow seem to think your popularity will make people forget about the genius of Unca Carl. Most of their hateful complaints are irrational lies and malignant malinformation, of course, but there's one criticism I've heard from one of them that stuck with me. It's based on the fact you yourself have critized many times the stupidity of American superhero comics, and that Americans know those as the only kind of comics nowadays. You yourself have created superhero parodies, and that's still fine with me, as parodies not necessarily have to be related to huge admiration and high respect for a thing.

But in spite of your criticisms of superhero comics, you seem to be collecting them just as eagerly in your fabled basement collection. How does that work out?

Now, those are all the questions and praises and thoughts (my Ducks and Dimes and Destinies?) I could think of off the top of my head...*SO FAR!* I'm looking forward to your answers, Unca Don! :)
                                « Ultima modifica: Domenica 18 Set 2011, 20:06:41 da TlatoSMD »

Dati personali, cookies e GDPR

Questo sito per poter funzionare correttamente utilizza dati classificati come "personali" insieme ai cosiddetti cookie tecnici.
                                In particolare per quanto riguarda i "dati personali", memorizziamo il tuo indirizzo IP per la gestione tecnica della navigazione sul forum, e - se sei iscritto al forum - il tuo indirizzo email per motivi di sicurezza oltre che tecnici, inoltre se vuoi puoi inserire la tua data di nascita allo scopo di apparire nella lista dei compleanni.
                                Il dettaglio sul trattamento dei dati personali è descritto nella nostra pagina delle politiche sulla privacy, dove potrai trovare il dettaglio di quanto riassunto in queste righe.

Per continuare con la navigazione sul sito è necessario accettare cliccando qui, altrimenti... amici come prima! :-)