Don Rosa

4921 · 380701

alexthereader
--
PolliceSu

PolliceSu
    Re: Don Rosa
    Risposta #4395: Sabato 5 Apr 2014, 22:45:05
    Mr. Rosa, I'm extremely glad to se that you' ve come back to this forum. In fact, i hadn't registered yet when you last partecipate, around an year ago.

I want to express you my greatest congratulations for your entire career and for all your creations, especially The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. I have followed your works since childhood (i'm currently 25) and I think your activity has given a huge boost to the diffusion of Disney comics and to the consideration they have, around the world, as a form of art.

I also completely agree with you about the long-standing issue whether your stories can be considered canonical or not in the Disneyverse, and of the difference of interpretation of the characters between different authors.
    It's even obvious that every author possesses his own  sensibility and nobody's interpretation is supposed to be the only one. Many times i have seen on the Internet-or even partecipated to-quarrels between hordes of fans of yours who believe your version of the Disney Comics can be the only one possible, and Others-as much convinced-haters, who questioned the very existence of your stories, considered too much detailed, personal, and occasionally unfaithful to the essence of the characters.

Trying to reason with both parties-who are both in error, for opposite reasons-ALWAYS proves to be useless, since they are wierdly fanatical in their beliefs, but i'm very happy that your personal opinion, clearly expressed on this very forum a pair of months ago, clearly states the obvious thruth that every Disney fan blessed with common sense already knew: that there exist no such a thing as "THE TRUTH" in comics, only the different, and personal interpretations of talented authors, each enjoyable for different reasons.

Thank you so much for your time, and I apologize for every English error I may have committed in this long post.

Mi scuso anche con i moderatori per non aver scritto il messaggio anche in italiano, a beneficio degli utenti che non conoscano l'inglese: purtroppo ho poco tempo, ma rimedierò domani, se non sarà troppo tardi.

Don Rosa
    Gran Mogol
    PolliceSu

• Novellino
      • Mostra profilo
    PolliceSu
      Risposta #4396: Sabato 5 Apr 2014, 23:39:49
      uncle carl:
      >>>>>unlike you, dear Don, you called me "rude" just because I expressed my opinion.

No, you didn't simply "express an opinion". Note that, previous to you, someone else expressed an opinion of dislike, and that was fine. I accepted that in stride. It came with a brief explanation and was polite. Your offering was "I don't like it" and a tongue sticking out like a nasty child saying "nyah!", then you were out the door, so to speak. Sorry, but in these parts that comes across as *quite* rude.

This is the ONLY forum I have ever been part of that is populated by completely polite and respectful adult writers. That's why it is the ONLY forum on the entire Internet that I take part in.

Thank you for the belated explanation, one which was not followed by a sarcastic face.

Don Rosa
      Gran Mogol
      PolliceSu

• Novellino
        • Mostra profilo
      PolliceSu
        Risposta #4397: Sabato 5 Apr 2014, 23:47:11
        Cornelius Coot:
        >>>>>he just wrote his opinion about that photo, without adding more words. And the emoticon has been put ironically, not to offend. We can have different sense of humour.

This is the sort of simple, easily accepted explanation I expected from the other party. I will accept your apology on his behalf. Grazie.

Uncle Carl
        Flagello dei mari
        PolliceSu

• Be water, my friend..
          • Mostra profilo
        PolliceSu
          Risposta #4398: Sabato 5 Apr 2014, 23:53:03
          uncle carl:
          >>>>>unlike you, dear Don, you called me "rude" just because I expressed my opinion.

No, you didn't simply "express an opinion". Note that, previous to you, someone else expressed an opinion of dislike, and that was fine. I accepted that in stride. It came with a brief explanation and was polite. Your offering was "I don't like it" and a tongue sticking out like a nasty child saying "nyah!", then you were out the door, so to speak. Sorry, but in these parts that comes across as *quite* rude.

This is the ONLY forum I have ever been part of that is populated by completely polite and respectful adult writers. That's why it is the ONLY forum on the entire Internet that I take part in.

Thank you for the belated explanation, one which was not followed by a sarcastic face.

The smiley face with the tongue, was not used to offend. But just for a joke.

There has been a misunderstanding, but that does not mean to call "rude" someone.
          I assure you, then, that mine was an opinion.

Anyway, now I will not use more than the smiley face with the tongue in your discussions.

Uncle Carl
          Flagello dei mari
          PolliceSu

• Be water, my friend..
            • Mostra profilo
          PolliceSu
            Risposta #4399: Sabato 5 Apr 2014, 23:58:41
            Cornelius Coot:
            >>>>>he just wrote his opinion about that photo, without adding more words. And the emoticon has been put ironically, not to offend. We can have different sense of humour.

This is the sort of simple, easily accepted explanation I expected from the other party. I will accept your apology on his behalf. Grazie.

Cornelius Coot did not apologize to me, because mine was not an offense, but only an opinion.

Don Rosa
            Gran Mogol
            PolliceSu

• Novellino
              • Mostra profilo
            PolliceSu
              Risposta #4400: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 00:14:22
              Then next time express your opinion in a more polite manner.

And that's the end of this matter. Period.

Don Rosa
              Gran Mogol
              PolliceSu

• Novellino
                • Mostra profilo
              PolliceSu
                Risposta #4401: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 00:17:00
                tang laoya:
                >>>>>>I've always been wondering whether the signs on the candle in "of ducks, Dimes and Destinies" were actually having a meaning. I've did a bit of a research, but I couldn't find any known (by me) alphabet matching with them.
                I'm missing something here?

You'll need to ask me that question when I can answer it, say in 1992.

I have no recollection as to where I got those runes, but knowing me, I would have spent hours of research to make sure I used some that had special meaning. Maybe I looked in the appendices of my copy of LORD OF THE RINGS.

Let me know if you ever locate them!

P.S.: Despite what you have read for many years, the CORRECT title of that story is "Of Ducks and Dimes and Destinies". It is meant to be a reference to a line in Lewis Carroll's poem "The Walrus and the Carpenter" in THROUGH THE LOOKING-GLASS. That line went "Of shoes and ships and sealing wax". This story is being called by the correct title in all reprintings since the turn of the century... at least the "authorized" reprints.
                « Ultima modifica: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 00:30:58 da Don_Rosa »

Uncle Carl
                Flagello dei mari
                PolliceSu

• Be water, my friend..
                  • Mostra profilo
                PolliceSu
                  Risposta #4402: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 00:20:29
                  Then next time express your opinion in a more polite manner.

And that's the end of this matter. Period.

My opinion was not offensive, but playful.

Yes, we close here.

Don Rosa
                  Gran Mogol
                  PolliceSu   (5)

• Novellino
                    • Mostra profilo
                  PolliceSu   (5)
                    Risposta #4403: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 00:22:26
                    Dinamite Bla:
                    >>>>>Perhaps you know that from some months in Italy there is a new publisher of Disney comics, The Panini Comics
                    Do you think you can have with this new editor any contact for the publication of your completed work in Italy or you think it is absolutely impossible?

I actually know one of the bigwigs at Panini Comics -- he has been a friend (and a big Duckfan) for about 15 or more years. So, the possibility of there being an Italian collection of my work is now more possible than before.

But the Panini people (not just my friend) must agree that they need to get my permission and cooperation for the use of my trademarked name and texts and additional material before they can publish such a collection. All they need to do is that. The previous publisher would not even consider the idea of discussing such a concept.

Next time I chat with my Panini Pal, I'll see what he thinks!

Thanks for asking.
                    « Ultima modifica: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 00:24:00 da Don_Rosa »

Don Rosa
                    Gran Mogol
                    PolliceSu   (2)

• Novellino
                      • Mostra profilo
                    PolliceSu   (2)
                      Risposta #4404: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 00:44:16
                      DonaldPaperinik:
                      (wrote a very nice piece, and then...)
                      >>>>>Thank you so much for your time, and I apologize for every English error I may have committed in this long post.

I thank you for your very wise comments.
                      But I must say that I always hafta chuckle when a European adds a final comment to his posting like yours above. I believe I noted ONE tiny misspelling in your message, and that was probably only a typo, such as I surely also made somewhere in this message. I want to make sure you know (and that everyone here knows) that your message contained perhaps a half-dozen English words of which the average American your age would not even know the meaning. Nor could most 25-year-old Americans spell or punctuate or write coherent and grammatical sentences as you have done so well. I have never ceased to be amazed by the excellent multi-language skills of you Europeans. Americans are now graduating high school without the ability to write a message like you posted.
                      NEVER feel embarrassed by your English language abilities. If an American your age cannot understand your postings, then it's not because you are making mistakes, it's because your writing is too advanced for him.

tang laoya
                      Cugino di Alf
                      PolliceSu

• Mano rampante in campo altrui
                        • Mostra profilo
                      PolliceSu
                        Risposta #4405: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 00:49:15
                        You'll need to ask me that question when I can answer it, say in 1992.

Thanks Don! It means that if I'll fail to recognize them, I'll have only to light up a time–candle and go back straight to 1992's Don Rosa   :)
                        « Ultima modifica: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 00:52:40 da tang_laoya »
                        Mi avevano dato le mappe del percorso, ma nessuna idea circa i bizzarri paesaggi che avremmo attraversato durante lunghi mesi. - Per Nettuno Capitano! Con questa luna di sghimbescio gli sgombri cremisi fluttuano flessi!

Paperinika
                        Imperatore della Calidornia
                        Moderatore
                        PolliceSu   (3)

• Mostra profilo
                        PolliceSu   (3)
                          Risposta #4406: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 01:24:20
                          DonaldPaperinik:
                          >>>>>Thank you so much for your time, and I apologize for every English error I may have committed in this long post.

But I must say that I always hafta chuckle when a European adds a final comment to his posting like yours above. I believe I noted ONE tiny misspelling in your message, and that was probably only a typo, such as I surely also made somewhere in this message. I want to make sure you know (and that everyone here knows) that your message contained perhaps a half-dozen English words of which the average American your age would not even know the meaning. Nor could most 25-year-old Americans spell or punctuate or write coherent and grammatical sentences as you have done so well. I have never ceased to be amazed by the excellent multi-language skills of you Europeans. Americans are now graduating high school without the ability to write a message like you posted.
                          NEVER feel embarrassed by your English language abilities. If an American your age cannot understand your postings, then it's not because you are making mistakes, it's because your writing is too advanced for him.

I believe this meme I saw on Facebook some days ago fits perfectly, in this case. ;D

Eruyomè
                          Gran Mogol
                          PolliceSu

• Elen síla lúmenn'omentielvo...
                            • Mostra profilo
                          PolliceSu
                            Risposta #4407: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 01:24:45
                            Don, I've always been wondering whether the signs on the candle in "of ducks, Dimes and Destinies" were actually having a meaning. I've did a bit of a research, but I couldn't find any known (by me) alphabet matching with them.
                            I'm missing something here?
                            -------------------------------------
                            Don mi sono sempre chiesto se i segni riportati sulla candela di "Decini e Destini" avessero un qualche significato. Ho fatto una rapida ricerca ma non ho trovato alcun alfabeto da me conosciuto che coincidesse.
                            Sto trascurando qualcosa?

Mi sono incuriosita per il riferimento al Signore degli Anelli che ha fatto dopo il Don. Siccome non mi parevano assolutamente somiglianti alle rune cirth del SdA, sono andata a spulciare i libri di Tolkien che ho in casa, ed effettivamente non ho trovato nulla di simile.

Così ho cercato su Internet e ho trovato qualcosa di interessante, ma potrei sbagliarmi:

L'unica runa che riconosco è quella segnalata col significato di SOLIDITA'.
                            Sebbene sia ribaltata rispetto a quella sulla candela, mi pare proprio identica.
                            Per le altre non saprei. Magari fanno parte di qualche altro alfabeto, oppure dello stesso, ma semplicemente non le trovo io e in questa tabella non son presenti. ;D

Non sono nemmeno sicura di aver capito di che si tratta. Prendo una cantonata se colgo un qualche riferimento a Dungeons & Dragons? "Universo" di cui, lo ammetto, la mia conoscenza rasenta quasi lo zero. :-[
                            Ma immagino che magari Don Rosa fosse un appassionato. :)

«Éala éarendel engla beorhtast
                             ofer middangeard monnum sended.  Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!»

alexthereader
                            --
                            PolliceSu

PolliceSu
                              Risposta #4408: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 02:23:17
                              DonaldPaperinik:

Well, thank you. In fact, i'm well aware I speak and write in a good english, and i'm kinda proud of it. I've also been in the US last summer and received quite compliments. Still, i wrote my message without correcting it, and i was not too sure about a pair of plurals with the verbs, so i decided to add that, just in case. I was probably incounsciously influenced by this attitude of being excessively humble, too.

Casey Coot
                              Bassotto
                              PolliceSu

• Nuovo arrivato
                                • Mostra profilo
                              PolliceSu
                                Risposta #4409: Domenica 6 Apr 2014, 12:26:20
                                Hi Don! I'm glad to see that you have returned to this forum, and I still really enjoy reading your answers. Of course I can't miss this opportunity of you answering my questions about the Ducks.

One thing that I'm really curious about is the coloring. I could talk about it for ages, but I guess that you don't have opinions about exactly everything. There is one coloring that I'm really not sure about, and that's bugging me all the time, and that is the one of the male Ducks' hair. You have said, several times, that all male Ducks should have white hair just like Donald and $crooge, but still, in the debated "Jamie Hawkins" family tree, they all have very different colors. Once and for all, which are the real colors for the male Ducks' hair? Are they all white, and in that case, are there any exceptions whatsoever when it comes to the Ducks in the family tree, according to you? What about Cornelius and Casey Coot? They always seem to be blonde. Grandpa Duck is often brown-haired (though I don't like it). One matter that we've been discussing over at Swedish www.kalleanka.se is the color of Eider Duck's hair. Is it white or brown?

And lastly, HDL's father. We don't know his name, but is his face the one in the family tree according to you? In that case, is he supposed to have brown or white hair?

Thank you so much in advance if you take the time to answer all my questions!  :)

Dati personali, cookies e GDPR

Questo sito per poter funzionare correttamente utilizza dati classificati come "personali" insieme ai cosiddetti cookie tecnici.
                                In particolare per quanto riguarda i "dati personali", memorizziamo il tuo indirizzo IP per la gestione tecnica della navigazione sul forum, e - se sei iscritto al forum - il tuo indirizzo email per motivi di sicurezza oltre che tecnici, inoltre se vuoi puoi inserire la tua data di nascita allo scopo di apparire nella lista dei compleanni.
                                Il dettaglio sul trattamento dei dati personali è descritto nella nostra pagina delle politiche sulla privacy, dove potrai trovare il dettaglio di quanto riassunto in queste righe.

Per continuare con la navigazione sul sito è necessario accettare cliccando qui, altrimenti... amici come prima! :-)